Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Funny first words!

mandksima

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 6:09 pm
My 13 month old has been babbling a lot and is pretty consistent with certain "words" and I'm trying to figure out what he's saying. Mostly "weee" and "burrr" but tonight I realized what he was saying with "wheizit." Where is it!!!!! I said it quickly and he repeated it exactly as I said it. He did a few times and I was cracking up. When I play with him and I hide a block or something and he looks for it I say that so he hears it often. Also, when he drops food off of his highchair on purpose, I say it and he points down and gives me his innocent look.

So far he says "mo" for more (food) and "ba" for Abba/"maaa" for Ima and that's basically it.
It's a funny 4th word!

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 1:19 am
My first word was Chevrolet. Can you tell I grew up in a tv home?

toastedbagel

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 8:41 am
My first word was craaaaaaaaa-CKER! according to my mom, who always says I said it like I wrote.

My father didn't have a first word - everyone was worried about him not saying anything, and then one time as an older toddler he was visiting relatives and had an insect net covering the stroller, the prob was that a fly was already inside the net, so out came his first spoken words, "Go away, fly!" Practically gave all the adults heart attacks...

As an aside, my two year old just learned to say cookie tonight. We are wondering what took him so long! And he said it all quietly, like he was embarrassed or something - it was really cute.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 10:50 pm
My first son- he was sick and wanted me to rock him to sleep. When I'd rock, I'd say "Aaah baby" so my son said pitifully, "Baby, baby..." He was 9 months.

My 2nd son- he had a big brother who always hurt him. So his first word was boo-boo. embarrassed He was 8 months.

My daughter... no words yet! She's 10 months and I don't see any in the near future. Smile

Ashrei

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 11:47 pm
Wow, I really don't have an ear for 19mo old dd's first words. She gives longs speeches and they're all just gibberish to me, but from the OP's "wheizit" story (I don't think I would have gotten that), and from visiting my friend who translates everything her same age daughter says into meaningful sentences, dd could be giving a discourse on Torah and I'd totally be missing it!

Of her first words though was "Chihuahua," said like chiWA waaa... We have a stuffed Chihuahua and I thought instead of just plain "dog," I'd be breed specific when referring to it. She knows "doggie" and "beagle" too, so hopefully she doesn't just think all dogs are Chihuahuas. Smile

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Aug 22 2009, 10:32 pm
My son's first word was NO TOUCH! which he picked up from the babysitter. how sad.

DovDov

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 6:15 pm
Ashrei wrote:
Wow, I really don't have an ear for 19mo old dd's first words. She gives longs speeches and they're all just gibberish to me, but from the OP's "wheizit" story (I don't think I would have gotten that), and from visiting my friend who translates everything her same age daughter says into meaningful sentences, dd could be giving a discourse on Torah and I'd totally be missing it!

Of her first words though was "Chihuahua," said like chiWA waaa... We have a stuffed Chihuahua and I thought instead of just plain "dog," I'd be breed specific when referring to it. She knows "doggie" and "beagle" too, so hopefully she doesn't just think all dogs are Chihuahuas. Smile

I know what you mean! Half the time I think DS2 (18 months) is just babbling, DS1 translates for me and DS2 nods very emphatically and says "right!", meaning he did have something to say after all. Last night he kept repeating: "Abba, walla! Abba, walla!" Since he says "waya" for water, and often wants some at night, I kept offering it to him and he kept refusing. Finally, we figured out he was saying "gorilla" and wanted us to read him the goodnight gorilla book. Similarly, yesterday, at odd intervals he'd should at me: "bezeet!" At first I tried repeating it back to him to get him to clarify, but he just kept saying it over and over and I figured he liked how it sounded. Well, two hours later, I come across my sons together, alternating with DS1 saying "ribit!" and DS2 "bezeet!" I asked what they were doing, and DS1 told me they were being frogs -- and DS2 nodded emphatically "foggy!" (Which is funny in its own way, because for months now DS2 has insisted he's a hippo -- I ask him "are you DS2?" he says NO! "are you my baby?" NO! "Well, what are you then?" "Heeppo!" "You're a hippo?" "Yah! Heeppo waya!") ("Hippo" to my son means dolphin. Don't ask me, I don't konw how that happened. But that's why he talks about "heeppo in-a waya!" and plays hippo in the bath.)

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 7:45 pm
dd's says 3 words: mama, ba (bath) - her favourite activity - and ow. There are probably more which I am not identifying.

toastedbagel

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 8:11 pm
my kids also translate for my youngest, it is so cute!
sometimes it would be something that I understood (like his going lalalalalala when he wants a drink), but if I am distracted, cooking, on the phone, etc, I wouldn't always notice or process it as anything but noise, so one of my other kids would come up to me and say "Mommy, DS wants a drink"
other times it is words that I have no clue what the are - for example he calls them all the same thing to my ears, but they patiently explained to me that there are differences - "aya" "ah-uh" and "ala-la" refer to each of them respectively. go figure how they worked that one out?

Nomad

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 8:35 pm
ds's first word was "uh-oh!". After constantly throwing things on the floor, and him loving to climb and jumping off of things he heard us say it A LOT lol

Aribenj

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 10:42 pm
Meow!

Although it's not a human word so I don't know if that counts...

mandksima

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 7:02 am
These area all really amusing!

What's funny is I don't remember my older kids starting to talk and this is all new for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics