Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Mold and Mildew

momagain

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 3:28 pm
What do you use to get rid of mold and mildew in the bathroom? (On tiles, grout, shower, and shower curtain)
Thanks.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 6:12 pm
Oooh, I'm following this one!

MMEC123

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 8:02 pm
For my shower curtain (mine is cloth), I washed in on hot in my machine and dried it on the highest setting too. For the shower I used tilex with bleach. I hate the idea of bleach where my kids bathe but it's the only thing that has worked so far. I tried natural products, hydrogen peroxide+water and more with no luck.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 8:05 pm
If the mildew is really bad on the tile walls and grout:
When the kids are not home, place bleach in a spritz bottle.
Spritz bleach on entire area.
Allow to sit for 5 hours.
Empty spritz bottle and wash out very well!!
After 5 hours, scrub, scrub, scrub with a brush and some bathroom cleaner.

As for shower curtain liners: I buy the $2 ones and replace them when they start getting mildew on them (about every 4 months.)

momagain

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 9:01 pm
Thanks.

Only problem is I really don't like to use bleach because my bathroom does not even have a window to open and it's really hard on the breathing. Is there no other solution?!

Inspired

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 4:54 am
mom- not having a window is probably a huge part of the problem. Is there any ventilation at all? Exhaust fan? If there is a fan make sure it is clean and running as much as possible. I second the bleach, but I also hear your reservations if there is no window.
If there is no exhaust fan you can run a fan in the doorway and keep the door opened when noone is in there. Air circulation should lessen the mold.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 6:48 am
I make sure to do it when no one is home and I can keep the bathroom door opened.

Bleach really is the best thing. And vinegar is great for hard water stains.

I've also heard that baking soda with lemon juice is also a good, natural cleaner.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:01 pm
Someone suggested a great product (on another thread probably, wish I had time to find it), I think soft scrub with bleach. It works! But it's so strong and I'm scared of using it. I need something really good to clean the grout in the tub, and I would like to do the whole tub in one day. Thanks!

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:28 pm
if it's that bad you might have to take it all out and re-caulk ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry