Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
8 month old - exclusively breastfeeding..

mother2b

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:43 am
Is it ok if my 8 month old is still only breastfeeding? I keep getting comments from people that I should really start giving her solids... Is it neccessary? Am I depriving my child? She seems to be satisfied...What should I do?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:48 am
It's fine if she seems fine.
You might think about letting her taste foods soon if she shows interest, and if she seems overly pale or lethargic, give iron-rich foods as that is the most common problem for non-solid eaters, but most kids are just fine not eating solids if they don't show an interest at that point.

mother2b

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 11:14 am
She is pretty pale.. but she was always pale..

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 11:32 am
Pale -- look at lips and inside of eyes. Not just skin tone, but where it should be red, if it looks pale pink, you might want to think about starting some meat or other iron rich food.

Inspired

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 11:32 am
My 8 month olds were all fine when EBF.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 11:35 am
My personal experience: my younger 2 were fine EBF at 8 months. My oldest who I started at 7 months was my anemic kid Smile

mother2b

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 2:07 pm
at what age is it most normal to start giving solids?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 2:08 pm
mother2b wrote:
at what age is it most normal to start giving solids?

Ask your doctor. All countries and cultures disagree on this.

Inspired

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 4:50 pm
I gave mine from 8 months- 11 months. When they really acted like they wanted to eat. Its up to you.

SomebodyElse

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 5:01 pm
Your doc might recommend a fluoride supplement for healthy teeth. (Usually by this age, they're getting it from tap water in their cereal.)

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 5:28 pm
I EBF most of my kids till atleast 9 months and some till about 12 months.

rainbow baby

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 6:54 pm
Here in the UK it's recommended that solid foods are started to be introduced into a babies diet from 6 months old. The reason a babies iron supply that they stored in their bodies while they were in the uterus basically start to disappear by 6 months of age. So it's important that they get foods to help replace these stores. Here's the WHO recommendation on exclusive breastfeeding:

http://www.who.int/features/qa......html

Also I would discuss with your dr what to do, when you should start to introduce solids, etc.... Hope this helps.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 7:57 pm
Here in Israel babies get iron drops.

All of mine but one ebf for at least 8 mos but one had to eat much sooner because of my health. Few foods that have significant amounts of iron (except formula with added iron) are suitable for babies under a year.

ray family

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 9:01 pm
I EBF my kids for 9-11 mos
when they're interested in food you'll be sure to know.
so long as she's growing and happy she's okay.
here in Israel we get iron drops for the kids even w/ that there's periodic blood work.
if you're concerned about her iron have it tested to see if she needs suplements

Mommish

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 9:05 pm
You should ask your pediatrician when he/she recommends solids. Personally, I think if the baby seems to want table food, why not give it a try? You can still mostly bf, or wait longer if your baby doesn't seem interested.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 9:15 am
My experience is that many peds just answer based on what they guess the mother wants to hear (some mothers are chalishing to feed their babies).
One ped here tells mothers to give solids at 5 months. But solids in that case means rice cereal, not table food, so it's a whole different ballgame. Many of those kids are the ones I see who don't want to eat till 8 or so months and their mothers are at wit's end trying to force solids down. If they had just waited to give regular food, there would be a lot less stress in my opinion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics