Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Holocaust Survivors - relatives
1  2  Next

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 8:50 am
When I was in elementary and high school, I had classmates whose parents were war survivors. But considering that the war was over, over 60 years ago, the number of war survivors is diminishing and much older (of course).

My question is: how many posters here are children, grandchildren (great-grandchildren?) of those who survived the Holocaust?

3 out of 4 of my grandparents are/were American and the 4th came to the U.S. as a little girl.

yrs1025

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 1:30 pm
My father is a survivor and so is my father in law.

Last edited by yrs1025 on Sun, Apr 16 2006, 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

hardwrknmom

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 2:22 pm
My mother is.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 11:24 am
My father survived and is B"H very much alive. And he remained frum, and raised a beautiful frum family.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 12:17 pm
My paternal grandfather was a Resistant in Jean Moulin's organization. My father (born 1931) was a Resistant as a child (he helped jailed American & French soldiers escape) and was a hidden by a whole righteous French village. My maternal grandfather spent several years in camps. My maternal grandmother was hidden with her mother by righteous non jews.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 12:24 pm
nah. not us. we're fourth generation american!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 5:04 pm
One of my grandparents family left Germany for America the night after kristalnach, luckily they boarded the train with a couple of suitcases for "vacation" just when the ss were getting suspicious but had to stand at attention and "heil" cos hitler ymach shmo just started a radio address, one other grandparent was in "du vernet" the french internment camp until was able to get to the usa. Although both of these grandparents lost a lot of family, grandparents, uncles, aunts cousins ... The other grandparents were already in america before ww2 started, they came because of other anti semitism elsewhere in a different time period.

ChavieK

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 5:21 pm
My grandparent came to America before the war. My parents are American born but remember the war.My inlaws are survivors. You are right, unfortunatly there aren't too many survivors left. We encourage them to talk about it now. They do more now.When their kids were little thye refused. MIL always said that she lived through horrors & she wanted her children to be happy.

leahj

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 6:15 pm
My grandmother was a survivor - she has since passed away.

binah918

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 10:07 am
Yes, sadly we are all too quickly loosing survivors and their stories. I really encourage anyone with older family members who are comfortable enough to share their experiences tor ecord them now before it is too late. My greatgrandparents were not in the war, they all came to the States before things got too bad. Still, about 15 years ago, when 3 / 4 of my great-grandparents were still alive my grandmotehr made audio recordings of them. These tapes are AMAZING! They tell of their lives in the shtetlach before they left Russia, how they left Russia, about their families, etc. Anything they remember, my grandmother recorded. I was fortunate enought to meet and remember these 3 great-granparents and when I close my eyes and listen to teh recording I can still picture their faces and I feel like I'm sitting next to them as they tell tehir story. For my father, this is especially amazing...he feels like he's sitting with his bubbie/zeide! I really think this is so important to do! Every family should do this! Everyone has a story to tell! We need to preserve these stories before we loose them

ektsm

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 10:20 am
I know it's scary to think that my grand children will probably never meet a holocaust survivor.

Brooklynite

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 10:26 am
My maternal grandparents were both young survivers, but grandma is no longer with us and zeidy unfortunately doesn't talk too much. From dh's side, I have one great grandmother that's a surviver of the camps, though I don't really talk to her about it either. Then there's my fil's father - an auschwitz survivor. He showed me his number once, but doesn't like discussing that time of his life. Ditto with my paternal grandfather. My paternal grandmother survived Theriesenshtadt. The rest of my grandparents (dh's) were born in the period immediately after the war.

It's so sad to see how one by one, they're all going... Sad

didan

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 11:08 am
B"H

My father's parents were survivors. I never met them, though, and they didn't talk much about it so my father never had much to share.

amother

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 7:29 pm
My grandparents were all survivors.
My father was a baby and escaped to switzerland so they were never in concentration camps. My father barely had a childhood.
My mother was born in a dp camp, her parents were in camps and lost almost their entire families.

My grandmother, tzu langer yuren is b"h still with us, but her memory is failing.

My father in law is american, but my mother in law was also born in a dp camp.

guesswho

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 8:12 pm
All four of my grandfathers and grandmothers are holocost survivors. Three of my grandfathers were married before the war and lost their families during the war.

Ima3

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 8:25 pm
My mother's parents were survivors, but they passed away a few years ago.

vicki

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 7:48 pm
My father, his little brother, sister and mother were hidden in various places in Belgium and France for the duration of the war. He was mostly in a priest's home as well as churches. This priest was honored in Yad Vashem many years ago.
My grandmother was a maid in a the home of a wealthy family in Belgium. She looked very Polish so was able to get around pretty well.
She was one amazing lady. When my father - aged 14 - was called up by the Germans to a "summer camp" with all his friends, she literally took him off the train at the last minute, thinking this is too strange for such a young boy. Of course, the "summer camp" was Auschwitz.
I would love to record my father, aunt and uncle remembering the years leading up the war through the time they settled in the Lower East Side.
Interestingly, my father is under the impression he spoke a lot about his war experiences to me but it must be relative, because I know very little and almost nothing in sequence.
This topic never fails to bring me to tears. The children. All those children.

Motek

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 7:52 pm
wow! do tape them!

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 5:35 am
ektsm wrote:
I know it's scary to think that my grand children will probably never meet a holocaust survivor.

ditto...

amother

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 5:45 am
All four of my grandparents were survivors. My grandfather was in Siberia and my other 3 grandparents were hiding/running/and in the army. my mother's father was married b4 with kids and lost his family. my grandmother lost all her siblings (8) and her parents. my other grandmother lost a few siblings (3) one of which for who I am named.

Does anyone know me from this description? Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics