Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Need some inspiration for RH

onlyme

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 1:12 pm
This year will be the first time that I won't be going to shul on Rosh Hashana (except standing outside for tekiyas shofar), now that I b"h have a baby to take care of. Chances are that I won't get to daven much either (dd is a very high-maintenance baby ka"h!). How do I keep myself inspired?

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 1:26 pm
I connect to the inyan of RH as the beginning of a grand crowning of Hashem as King ceremony, commencing on RH and culminating on Yom Kippur.

So at tekios, I try to think of standing at attention, as our "trumpets" announce Hashem's recognized place as our King. There is an understanding that every moment Hashem is creating the world anew, but from shkiya on erev/RH until tekios (this is different this year bc of shabbos where shabbos accomplishes what the tekios would do on a weekday) Hashem has stood back from the world, and as we stand and hear the tekios, we recognize Hashem, and He again is breathing life into everything, every millisecond of the day.

That's during the tekios.

Throughout the day, you will be with your child. Your primary job is to take care of that child, etc. Even though an infant, that child can receive so much (even in utero, kal v'chomer outside), and "seeing" a mother dressing tznius AND l'kovod YT, preparing and caring for the house and food and children will be passing on a very major message to that baby of where that King is and how we are crowning Him and recognizing Him in our daily lives by living--in even the most mundane areas--as He wants us to. No one should minimize the impact of teaching any little thing to our even tiny babies; talking about holy things, showing them simanim, etc. Their neshomas will definately hear AND it's always practice for when they are older and see/hear everything we do and learn from it.

onlyme

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 1:36 pm
Thank you, that was beautiful! Sounds just my style, too. I always find myself talking to dd about whatever I'm doing, (since I'm constantly holding her, so she's "involved" in everything) especially when it comes to Shabbos, etc. ("See, Mommy is setting the table for the seuda. Here's the challah, the wine... Soon Tatty will come home, and he'll make kiddush..."). I usually feel sort of silly when I catch myself doing that, since she obviously can't understand what I'm saying. So it's nice to hear that I actually am accomplishing something with those little "conversations".

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 2:11 pm
It's funny, I didn't have this issue. I know where it's coming from but it never fazed me. Now that I can spend a whole R"H is shul, more or less, got to admit it's not so easy. I feel like I need a beginner's minyan, definitely a good machzor with English and some mefarshim.
I remember a few years ago the first time I went to hear megilla at night with the rest of the family. What a milestone, close to 20 years. B"H!!!

One thing that's important: other than yizkor, I never asked my kids to stay home so I could daven in shul. This is THEIR time to soak up what they need. If Hashem gave you this bracha, trust me, you will still get the ruchnius you need even though you won't be in shul.

I think the dictum of Rabbi Yisrael Salanter, that other people's gashmius is my ruchnius, resonated especially for me.

drumjj

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 3:25 pm
for me this is the first time not going to shul on rh for a very long time I feel a bit sad by it, ill be home with the baby all day. I do know how u feel only. it doesnt even feel like rh is coming apart from the fact that I have to cook. and when I do go to shul on sunday I will be doing the toddler service so I wont be in shul I dont think anyway apart from the first 30 tekiyos. its going to be a very strange yt for me I think

onlyme

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 3:28 pm
drumjj wrote:
for me this is the first time not going to shul on rh for a very long time I feel a bit sad by it, ill be home with the baby all day. I do know how u feel only. it doesnt even feel like rh is coming apart from the fact that I have to cook. and when I do go to shul on sunday I will be doing the toddler service so I wont be in shul I dont think anyway apart from the first 30 tekiyos. its going to be a very strange yt for me I think

That's exactly how I feel. And I'm not even cooking for YT, as we will be guests for all meals, so I really don't feel like RH is in the air

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 3:55 pm
I remember all the Rosh Hashanas spent in the playground... Very Happy

I used to do serious garage sailing. I'd dole things out very judiciously, ending with the yamim noraim, to keep them occupied and buy me some davening/reading time. To any new mothers, who may have reading time, please try to get lots of good reading material. Doesn't have to all be inspirational, there are some great novels too.

As an aside, I remember going by Rosh Hashana baby delivery. The OB is a great dr. but his MO as labor coach is to act like a demented football coach on steroids. ("Get angry! Get angry!! Push harder! Push HERE! HARDER!!!") Meanwhile, I'd spent the day reading the biography of Chedva Zilberfarb, a"h, and I was floating - it should be a kaparah, this is a good pain, I can handle it (I was even philosophical through the epidural attempt that fizzled). But I did try to listen to him and it went pretty well. This was the year I didn't hear shofar second day. We'd packed a shofar but my husband slept a few hours and walked back at 7:30 am, too early to blow.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 3:56 pm
As an aside, I remember going by Rosh Hashana baby delivery.

Don't know what I was trying to say there. Should be, I remember my R"H delivery.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur