Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Scd help--need to stop losing weight.
1  2  3  4  Next

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 11:13 am
hi people--

so I started the scd a little under a year ago, and since then have lost my baby weight plus some. plus quite a bit, actually. now I'm not malnourished or anything, and the size is fine for my height, but I really wasn't interested in being this skinny and I don't want to lose any more weight. I also don't want to go off the scd until I feel I am cured, as I am confident that the diet can cure my problem. so--

I need to up my calorie intake. I've been trying to. but here's the thing. I'm not a big eater and never have been. the only time I can eat a lot is while pregnant or nursing, and I'm not either currently. so I'd like some tips on how to up my calorie intake. I have always used full fat items, so that's not going to make any difference. any quick and easy snack ideas would be great, and any new recipes would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting bored with my current repertoire.

thanks.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 11:39 am
The best/easiest way to do this it to:
1. eat an avocado a day
2. drizzle olive oil on everything [even once it's on your plate already - cold pressed olive oil is great nutritionally for drizzling onto cold food (loses it's value when heated) and it's so delishes]
3. eat handfuls on nuts

Hatzlacha Rabbah!

If you want a yummy high fat avocado salad with avocado, red onion, tomatoes, fresh lemon juice, garlic and olive oil, let me know.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Oct 06 2009, 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 11:40 am
thanks. I'll have to get myself to like avocado without onion rolls...

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 11:42 am
Would you eat creamy avocado with veggie sticks and smeared onto tomato slices? Really delishes. Would you like measurements for preparing it?

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 11:44 am
I was just going to say avocado. The avocado a day helps keep my bm's regular. Lately it's been constipation and D back and forth. I cube it while still in the peel and then squeeze it out. toss with lemon juice and salt. I eat it with a spoon, it fills me up for a lunch. If you can't stand the thought of it, experiment with different spices. Or, toss with grilled chicken pieces, also yummy. I find that cubes are easier to 'eat' than mashed mush.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 3:22 pm
How about avocado on Ramman Prassad's cheese crackers?
How advanced are you? Are you able to have a decent variety of foods? Maybe you should treat yourself to some prepared stuff, like Digestive Wellness, if you haven't already.

Now you don't have to answer, but how are you doing medically? If you're still losing weight after this long either you had a lot of baby weight or something's up. Are you on meds? They can be quite helpful if not downright necessary though it's understandable to try to avoid some. SCD and medicine are not mutually exclusive.

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 8:45 pm
Ive been on the SCD ehrlich for just nine months now and I lost so far 50 pounds, I started this while 5 months pregnant also so its quite a bit of weight for this time period. Im fine with it at this point but I can see myself reaching the point where you are holding now. The most I want to lose from where I am now is about 25-30 pounds. Anything more than that and I'll be getting into really skinny territory and I don't think I'll be comfortable there.

I find that when I bake and have muffins and cake lying around to snack on I lose weight much slower (it doesnt stop it altogedther though) I agree about the avacado but I don't think it's enough to stop the weight loss. You really need the nuts. At this point I cant eat raw nuts again bc of a flare and if you are sensitive get some almond flour from digestive wellness to bake with (they grind it finer than any other brand)

Also when you make dinner lets say you can sautee the chicken and veggies in olive oil, with dinner eat some cooked fruit. (for something more fatty go with salmon drizzed with live oil and broiled in the oven) If you just eat protein, veggies and oil, it will go straight through your system, like atkins. If you want it to "stick" a little bit you need some sugar with it.

You said your not a big eater so make sure when you eat or snack that you count your calories and fat, instead of or carrot sticks, make broccoli with melted cheese on top. If you eat applesauce put a handful of scd granola on it. etc... And remind yourself to eat! I am eating so much less than I ever had, Im not realy hungry much ever. Leave snacks around to remind yourself to eat, a larabar in your purse etc

Try these things out but meanwhile remember you are so much healthier now than you probably ever were. Everything you put in your mouth is good for you and you are well on your way to recovery IMYH.
Eventualy the weight will stop coming off.... You wont get unhealthily skinny or malnourished from this diet, remember lots of people on this diet started out severely underweight due to Crohns and gained weight til they were healthy. Mrs Weiss from Digestive Wellness gained 40 pounds! At one point she wondered when it would stop and it did stop when her body was in a healthy place. Hatzlocha Raba.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 10:30 pm
How about you tell us what your daily menu is? There's probably a time slot for more food. I have malabsorption issues... no matter how little I eat, I can't lose weight. Nor gain. I'm stuck at this very overweight spot for over 10 years.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 11:43 pm
so here's the thing. I've lost about fifty pounds. I had thirty of baby weight, five of engagement weight (I spent our entire engagement eating fast food. no time for healthy stuff) and that's it. I wasn't skinny when I got engaged, so the extra fifteen pounds aren't unhealthy for me to lose.

I'm already healing. no, I'm not on meds. I have one not-so-terrible symptom left, I eat a variety of foods, and have recently been able to drink full strength grapejuice and eat dried apricots, both of which I was sensitive to when I started the diet.

I don't have a daily menu, it depends on what I had time to prepare that week. it also depends on my latest food interests. so lately I've been having scrambled eggs and farmers cheese for breakfast with orange juice. lunch is usually something dairy as well. cheese sandwich with salad, more juice, fruit, whatever. I've recently made a big batch of pesto, and I eat that on top of cubed muenster cheese. sometimes I have nut pancakes. supper is always something fleishig. usually chicken with some form of veggie. and I drink a ton of juice throughout the day to make sure I get enough carbs. in fact, I don't drink water anymore. I take my vitamins regularly. I don't think I lack for nuts. I lack for snacks. when I started the diet, I used to buy five pound bricks of muenster cheese and eat sticks of that as snacks throughout the day. I haven't gotten one of those bricks lately, I guess I'll have to start doing that again. but somehow I just don't feel the need to snack anymore. I guess I'll have to stretch my stomach again by eating more than my current capacity.

meanwhile, I'd like to add that I've become much more active since starting the diet. I walk more with the kids, and my pace has become noticeably faster. I used to be a very slow mover. I've also gotten much better about doing the housework, and I've been able to take on additional projects due to increased energy. so that may be contributing to the weight loss as well, but I still feel that it's mostly the diet.

someone mentioned cooked fruit-- I actually have no problem with raw produce, and I prefer it that way. the only thing I'm sensitive to right now is eggplant, and I can still have it in small quantities.

have any of you been to a nutritionist to help with this diet? I'm considering it.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 11:48 pm
I’m so confused. Do you not have any dccc at all? Also, I’m so happy you can tolerate raw stuff, nuts, cheese! Wow! I’m on the intro diet since Shavuos and Erev R’h I emotionally gave up. Right now I’m on starvation, I am miserable with the lousy foods I can tolerate, I’d rather starve.

If I were you I’d throw strawberries & honey on my farmer cheese, add granola to the dccc, eat deli throughout the day if you can find any legal… Also, try to have cookies in your fridge at all times. I can eat about a half a box if I’m hungry… except now I cannot tolerate nuts.

Spaghetti squash with legal marinara and melted cheese – divine!

Have you tried my cauliflower recipe with butter, leek and cheese?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 11:56 pm
I just saw that cauliflower recipe this morning, and hopefully will try it soon. dccc= dry curd cottage cheese, right? otherwise known as farmers cheese. friendship, mehadrin, j&j all sell it labeled farmers cheese. and my nut pancakes involve farmers cheese, as does the lois lang bread I use for sandwiches.

I just made the first batch of yogurt in a while, so I will be adding that to my menu tomorrow. and as I mentioned, I always use full fat products, so this is whole milk yogurt. and I made some mayonnaise today, so I'll be adding that to tuna, hard boiled eggs, whatever.

anyone have a good recipe for crackers? like really nice crunchy ones? I miss dry crunchy things.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 12:22 am
btw, shaklee, do you know of a legal brand of deli and where I can get it? I drool over deli whenever I see it...

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 12:26 am
I don't. I can tolerate 2 slices of mexican style turkey, from Hod Golan. Only 2.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 12:28 am
you've experimented with turkey? I'm too lazy to contact manufacturers, but I'm also too nervous to experiment with the unknown. I'm sticking to the book. sigh. I'd love some deli.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 12:29 am
I'm a gambler... not so smart. That's why I can't kick stage one yet! Ugggggggggggggg chicken soup and eggs and chicken... day after day, week after week. yogurt coming out of my nose...

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 12:32 am
shaklee, you mustn't give me such visuals to deal with. I picture each poster as their avatar, and now I picture you as this cute jolly chubby baby with yogurt coming out of its nose. hee hee.

sorry about your limited menu these days, though. I guess I have it easy, I just started by eating anything the book said was legal, and the symptoms started lessening. I was sensitive to a few things, and I remember I had to limit my muenster cheese intake, but I never dealt with an introductory stage.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 2:46 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
btw, shaklee, do you know of a legal brand of deli and where I can get it? I drool over deli whenever I see it...

Make your own deli meat!
Either buy a pickled roast at a small butcher store and find out exactly what they used to pickle the meat.
Or pickle it yourself!
Pickeled deckel, corned beef, or dark meat chicken is delicious! Dark meat pickeled chicken roast is heaven served cold.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 2:59 pm
I am cooking a silver tip roast as we speak. Cover the meat with water and cook for about 5 hours until it's soft (or longer). Pour a generous amount of pickling spice into the water. I don't know if it's legal but I was tolerating it nicely Yom tov.

of course, smoked turkey, pastrami... so convenient... but then again, so is a bagel with tuna.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 3:08 pm
You can actually pickle meat yourself raw for 2 weeks in the freezer, the way real deli meat is prepared.
Then once it's pickled you cook it. Cool it. And slice.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 3:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can actually pickle meat yourself raw for 2 weeks in the freezer, the way real deli meat is prepared.
Then once it's pickled you cook it. Cool it. And slice.

so put it in the marinade into the freezer / what happens? as it thaws, it pickles even more? I shoudl get one of those injecting things... and then a commercial meat slicer... then we can split a roast!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise