Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Shopaholic's Meat Lasagna
1  2  Next

jelibean

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 4:01 pm
I found this recipe, posted nearly 4 years ago (!), when I did a search for meat lasagna. I just made it and it was delicious! I don't do well with a lot of tomato sauce, so the parve bechamel was perfect to cut the tomato in the recipe. I used 1 lb. ground beef but 2 would be even better. Enjoy -- and thanks so much, Shopaholic! Here it is for all to enjoy.

Shopaholic's Meat Lasagna with Bechamel Sauce

I brown over the meat in a frying pan in its own fat & break it up into little pieces as it cooks. Then I add spaghetti sauce to it.

As a cream/cheese sauce (aka bechamel) I use this recipe:

5oz margarine
1/2 c flour
4 c hot beef broth (I use the Osem powder)
dried oregano
salt & pepper

Melt the margarine. Sprinkle in the flour & work into a smooth paste, cooking until the flour browns slightly into a golden color. Gradually pur in the hot, well flavored meat broth, stirring to prevent clumps. Add seasonings.

Put lasagna noodle, then meat sauce & then bechamel. Keep layering until you're done. I end with bechamel. Enjoy!

Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or so. (Jelibean's note: I sprinkled dried parsley on top for more color, and used lasagna noodles that had to be boiled, not the no-cook kind.)

NTR150153

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 4:20 pm
does this recipe have any tomato sauce at all?

jelibean

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 4:28 pm
NTR150153 wrote:
does this recipe have any tomato sauce at all?

Shopaholic writes that after browning the meat, she adds spaghetti sauce. I used about 1/2 a jar of pasta sauce for one pound of ground beef. This recipe makes a lot of bechamel, so I didn't feel like I needed more pasta sauce, and actually, I might have cut it the pasta sauce with water because tomato sauce gives me heartburn.

mosma

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 4:29 pm
I made this tonight and it was YUM!!!!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 8:38 pm
mosma wrote:
Did you boil the lasagna noodles first?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 10:19 am
ra_mom wrote:
mosma wrote:
Did you boil the lasagna noodles first?
I also would like to know...I need to figure out exactly how to make this as I'd like to give this a try.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 9:21 am
So I made it last night. Overall, it was well eaten. Even by my kid who doesn't like meat (he ate the noodles) and my kid who doesn't like messy things (I scraped off some sauce and cut it into tiny pieces to fit in his mouth).

I did NOT boil my regular lasagna noodles before.

The bechamel sauce made more than needed for 3 layers. Meat was skimpy (it went in 2 layers and I used 1 lb). I put some marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan to wet the first layer of raw noodles, but I'm not sure if it was necessary seeing how liquidy the bechamel sauce was.

I used chicken broth instead of beef broth, and I used 1/2 C olive oil instead of margarine. I think I can cut on the fat next time.

I baked it covered for an hour and it was thoroughly cooked, but the noodles didn't really stick together well. So it was messy to serve but delicious to eat. I'll probably make it again.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 9:27 am
Thanks for the report. I've got to try this now.
I think jelibean wrote that there was no specific amount for meat in the recipe, and that she used 1 lb. but that 2 lbs. would work better.
Did you also use about 1/2 jar marinara?
Glad to hear that it worked without boiling the noodles first. Makes my life simpler Smile
Thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 9:35 am
Probably about that amount. I had an open jar, poured most of what was left in the meat, and the last few spoons for the bottom of the pan, but I don't know how much was in it to begin with...and in the future, I just started getting bigger jars so I'll be even less exact Wink I think it doesn't really matter as long as the noodles get wet with either the pasta sauce or the bechamel sauce...after the first time, you can experiment with ratios how you like it -- more tomato-ey or not. Also, I sprinkled parsley on top to add color Smile

One more thing, I didn't heat up the broth first. Since it was cold, when added to the roux, it didn't become creamy right away, but as I continued pouring in more, it worked better...that also saves time. Smile

mosma

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 10:02 am
I cooked my noodles first, but not the full 10 minutes (which is how I always make lasagna). I don't like the texture otherwise.
I used about a jar of marinara sauce in the meat, and spiced it the way I like it.
I used 2 lbs of meat and it was perfect.
I didn't find it was messy to serve at all. So much neater than dairy lasagna. and it was very easy to put together the beschamel sauce.
The leftovers heated up nicely in the microwave and it was all gone in 2 days! (between DH, myself, and 6 year old DS). everyone loved it!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 10:42 am
Mosma, your layers stuck together nicely? I wonder if my meat was too chunky or I overdid the sauce or what...It did get easier after I reheated it. The first helpings really fell apart straight out of the oven. Maybe I should have let it cool?

mosma

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 11:32 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Mosma, your layers stuck together nicely? I wonder if my meat was too chunky or I overdid the sauce or what...It did get easier after I reheated it. The first helpings really fell apart straight out of the oven. Maybe I should have let it cool?

I served it hot. Maybe you overdid the sauce...? One of the servings slipped a little but otherwise they stayed ok. The leftovers stayed better, probably bec it had a chance to congeal a little.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 11:35 am
Maybe it was the oil in the Bechamel sauce. Looks like I have to buy coconut oil if I don't want to use margarine.

suzyq

Post Mon, Dec 06 2010, 6:57 am
I made this for Shabbos and LOVED it! It was a huge hit - thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 06 2010, 7:44 am
ra_mom, I reheated it for my kids 2 days later, and the consistency was fine. I think I just cut it when it was too hot and fresh. But I don't think the oil is a problem -- margarine when hot is also liquid...maybe make it a day in advance, and reheat?

SV

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 8:42 am
Can I add vegetables to this to make it a more complete meal? If so, what kind of veggies do you think would work? (nobody eats spinach or broccoli here, except me Sad ).

Also, if I use 1/2 box of lasagna noodles (since I am not sure everybody will eat this and I would rather not waste 2 lbs of meat) should I just 1/2 all the ingredients?

Do you bake this covered?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 9:15 am
SV wrote:
Can I add vegetables to this to make it a more complete meal? If so, what kind of veggies do you think would work? (nobody eats spinach or broccoli here, except me Sad ).

Also, if I use 1/2 box of lasagna noodles (since I am not sure everybody will eat this and I would rather not waste 2 lbs of meat) should I just 1/2 all the ingredients?

Saute shredded vegetables (whatever you have in the house - onions, carrots...) Add meat and then brown as directed.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 9:23 am
SV wrote:

What ra_mom said, but I've also successfully added in cauliflower to other tomato sauce-based meat one dish meals, as well as zucchini...

I used 1 lb meat for 1/2 box for the reviews I gave above.

SV

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 10:05 am
Thanks ra_mom and HY. So do you bake it covered or not?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 10:14 am
I did, but I didn't boil the noodles first, so I was relying on the liquid and steam it created to cook it through.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics