Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Tu B'shvat - Customs, Links
1  2  Next

dina

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 1:28 pm
Just wondering what your plans are for Tu B'shvat? Do you do anything special with the kids? Any good recipes? We buy a few fruits of Eretz Yisroel (dates, figs. etc..) and make shecheyanu...any other ideas?

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 3:25 pm
My parents' minhag is to have 15 fruits, including a shehechiyanu and the shivas haminim, and to say the 15 Shir Hamaalos. They say a perek and eat a fruit, say a perek and eat a fruit, etc.

gryp

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 3:32 pm
wow, thats interesting!

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 3:59 pm
It's a quasi-Yekkish minhag. One year I was in EY on Tu Bishvat which came out on Shabbos. I stayed at friends of my sister who also had that minhag, but more elaborately. They had a table filled with fruits and we sat all Shabbos afternoon, eating fruits, saying Shir Hamaalos and speaking about kedushas EY. It was so beautiful!

proudmom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 11:33 am
http://www.aish.com/a/Tu_Bshvat.asp

Check this out. It is a really nice thing to watch

Motek

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 1:06 pm
it IS a nice thing to watch, however ... (here comes the killjoy), there's nothing about doing what G-d says to do, I.e. mitzvos, whether 613 for Jews or 7 for gentiles, just a message to enjoy the world and take care of it ... could have been made by environmentalists with a religious bent ...

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 3:54 pm
I don't think the video was ment to do that

if it gets people curious enough to click onn the link, they will learn the rest

a religious come-on will turn some people off.

dina

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 8:40 pm
I once heard that you're supposed to eat the shivas haminim in a certain order...do any of you do that and what is the order?

sarahd

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 4:20 am
You eat them in the order of their closeness to the word "eretz" in the pasuk that speaks of the 7 minim: "Eretz chita u'seora vigefen ute'ena virimon, eretz zeis shemen udvash (temorim)". The order is as follows:
olives
dates
grapes/raisins
figs
pomegranate

Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 8:01 am
Hag sameah to all! What a yummy hag it is LOL

lucky

Post Sun, Feb 05 2006, 10:07 am
What do you say to all the Tu B'shvat sales? Advertising gifts to give for this Yom Tov. When I was young Scratching Head this Yom Tov was not sooo commercialized.

Mommy912

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 11:53 am
Has anyone ever heard of this? The Mishpacha had an article about it and it is the first time I have heard of this. They said it is a chassidish minhag. Do you do it at home or only with a Rebbe?
What other Tu Beshvat minhagim do you have aside from eating fruit?

hisorerus

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 12:04 pm
We used to make one! It's a Sefardi thing, as far as I know, and it's very beautiful.

ektsm

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 6:44 pm
IT's just a minhag and you some people have a tubeshvat seder.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 7:01 pm
My daughters school came up with a new custom! No School on Tu Beshvat! So will be busy entertaining her tomorrow!

realeez

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 7:04 pm
so funny - I also never heard of it b4 I read the mishpacha article! my dh just heard of it from an e-mail he got from shemayisrael.com. I think it is a sfardi minhag.

roza

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 7:20 pm
it's kabbalistic

JEWISHMAMA

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 5:47 am
I´m gonna have a fruit party with my dh and the kids have one in school.

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 10:23 am
got this in my email:

carob-bukser - is usually infested and difficult to inspect

dates - American grown usually do not need to be inspected. If you're checking them, slice lengthwise, spread apart and open. If webbing or seedy substance is seen, worms may be present

figs - Smyrna or California - often infested with the fig wasp. Cut and force open inside out.
wasp will appear blackish in contrast to the brownish fig meat and seeds

hope you dont find anything! Tongue Out
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note