Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
WITS vs. Skokie

jb0822

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:47 pm
We are considering sending our son to Skokie for 11th grade.
He is currently in a modern orthodox co-ed day school, but has been trending to the right for at least a year and asking for an all boys school. He has attracted to yeshivaishe style, but is still more center right modern, but is very spiritual too and recognizes the more yeshivaishe people are on his wavelength. He is a very bright child, but also is an amazing singer, can lead davening and is just not reaching his potential. He has leadership skills, is fun and energetic. Loves basketball, ice hockey, exercising, reading and wants a place that is structured, but also very warm and engaging. Are the learning styles similar? One more high level then the other? Would they frown upon kids who listen to secular music in addition to Jewish or watch netflix sometimes on the weekends? Do they have activities for them on Sundays? Is alcohol or drugs an issue recently in these places?

He has asked us to look into both of these schools and we don't know much about them except they seem to attract center right kids but have more yeshiva style learning. Is the secular good in both? Is one attract a different type of kid vs the other? Want to make sure its not a place where kids with problems go either since that is not him. He has some friends in West Rogers Park, so that is a nice option sometimes if he wants to go out for Shabbos and attend Skokie , but WITS seems interesting too and they have an ice hockey rink! I see that WITS also attracts kids from Chicago, so was wondering if you might know why a Chicago kid might go there vs. Skokie nearby. Any information you can provide would be most appreciated. Also looking for more recent experiences there since Skokie has gone through different administrations. How are the teachers? Secular education strong? Warm? If there are any other schools we should consider as well please let me know too! Thank you in advance!

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 4:10 pm
I am familiar with both. DS went to Skokie for a short time. Was not for him. This was many years ago. We have friends whose kids went all the way through at Skokie and did fine. Academics are good. WITS is smaller and it’s Chofetz Chaim. They have out Shabbosim and the kids are hosted by various area shuls for that. To me, WITS is warmer. Not a lot of frills in Milwaukee though. He should visit both.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 5:01 pm
Would you consider Yeshiva of Greater Washington in Silver Spring?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 5:13 pm
WITS is more of a RW Yeshiva than Skokie and follows the Chofetz Chaim derech. The boys in Chicago who choose WITS would not necessarily feel comfortable in Skokie.
The learning style is also not the same, as Chofetz Chaim yeshivas have their own specific learning style. I would assume that WITS does not allow secular music or the like in the dorms and would frown on secular movies out of Yeshiva. Many WITS boys end up continuing on to several years Bais Medrash and a percentage end up in long term kollel. I don't think that's typical for a Skokie boy. I don't think either Yeshiva in particular attracts/accepts problem boys.
From your description it sounds like your son would probably fit into one of the two yeshivas, (although I'm honestly not sure which one). I think you should make a trip of checking both out and getting a good feel for each one.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 6:28 pm
Also, just for some bekius, WITS is known to be one of the more intense Chofetz Chaims. So while a Chofetz Chaim might be good for him, WITS might be a culture shock.

(I must admit I don't know as much about the HS boys as the Beis Medrash ones so if I'm wrong someone please correct me).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics