Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Yet another sleep question

Seraph

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 9:24 am
I posted about my son wanting the door open while going to sleep, wanting to sleep on the couch, waking up early in the morning.
My husband thinks it might be a good idea to move his crib into our room. My husband thinks that if our son is in our room but not in my bed, he'll sleep longer than when he's by himself in his room, but won't demand to nurse the whole night if he's not in my bed.

I moved our son out of our room at a year old- from my bed into a crib in the other room, and nursed him back to sleep when he woke up, and would bring him into my bed when he woke up and I was already asleep. It was a really tough transition, because until that point he would only go to sleep nursing, and I moved him out of my room and made him learn to fall asleep not via nursing. I am afraid that bringing him back to our room would just mean another "weaning" from our room when the time comes to it, and that we shouldn't backtrack.
My husband thinks this is the solution, as he will go back to sleep so much more easily when we go to him in his room when he wakes up, and will often go to sleep without a fuss when we lie down in his room while putting him to sleep.
He says we could move him out of our room when we want our privacy, but then the rest of the night he can be in our room.
He's 1.5 now for those that dont know.

Who do you agree with? My husband or me?

Marion

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 9:25 am
I wouldn't. But then, I wouldn't have had my kids in my room with me to begin with either. I'm a big believer that Eema & Abba's room is Eema & Abba's room. From the very beginning.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 9:03 pm
Seraph, if you believe it will be hard for both you and Uriel to "undo" and teach him again to sleep on his own in his own room, then I wouldn't do it.

You're already more than halfway there of having him being a good, independent sleeper. He's in his own room and own crib. He's not an infant anymore and you and DH are entitled to a little personal space from him and privacy too.

I would just keep working on the sleep thing in his own room. Seriously, hold firm with him a little longer. It could just be a passing phase.

If you can think of anything to make his room more appealing to him, give that a try. Would he like to listen to story tapes or white noise (ocean waves,e tc) in bed?

That's just my $0.02. You and DH know Uriel better. I have always been firm about bedtime and I have 3 kids, KAH who like to go to bed, are solid sleepers, and never get out of bed after being tucked in. It wasn't mean, its just getting out of bed (to sleep somewhere else or to test bedtime) isn't an option.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 12:02 am
I agree. He will go backwards if he's back in your room. We are going through it now. Every so often one of them starts it, and because there are 3 in the room it's either let her in or have 3 kids up screaming. I don't mind the kids in my room every so often, but every night is not fun. You have to decide if you are willing for it it turn into every night. If not, don't start.

Seraph

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 12:25 am
Ok, so I was out last evening till late and with my permission my husband put uriel to sleep in our room. MUUUUUUCH worse than when he isnt in our room. Don't think I'll be doing THAT again for a while. He practically spent the whole night in my bed. Uch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics