Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
After the bathroom: 1 bracha or 2?

ShiningThrough

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 2:38 am
After using the bathroom and washing, do we make 1 bracha (asher yatzar) or 2 (al netilat yadayim + asher yatzar)?
Thanks.

Mamushka

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 2:50 am
Asher Yazar only.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 2:52 am
The first time in the morning (or the time before you are going to daven) - both. If you washed for bread first, you can't say it for the morning washing again.

After that - only asher yatza.

ShiningThrough

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 4:57 am
Thanks, that's what I learned, too.
Somebody close to me says 'al netilat yadayim' before every time he says 'asher yatzar'. He's FFB and I'm BT but I learned that we say only 'asher yatzar' after using the bathroom (except when we wash after waking- thanks for the clarification, Shalhevet).
Could there be other opinions on this? Could it be a Chabad thing to say both brachas?

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 4:59 am
um, no. not that I'm aware.

bandcm

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 6:56 am
No its not a Chabad thing.
But some people just dont know the halachos, whetehr they grew up in frum home or not.

morkush

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 7:19 am
Unless when washing al netilas yadayim for bread at the same washing as going to the bathroom. then you would say both brochos.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 7:26 am
what does washing for bread have to do with washing negel vasser in the am other than the same brocha ...

Atali

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 7:54 am
morkush wrote:
Unless when washing al netilas yadayim for bread at the same washing as going to the bathroom. then you would say both brochos.

But even then you do it differently. First you would wash alternating hands, say asher yatzar, then wash for bread, then say netilas yadayim.

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 8:25 am
And here I thought the question was how many brachot are in the Asher Yatzar! (IMO 2...asher yatzar et ha'adam b'chochma and rofe kol basar umefli la'asot.)

shalhevet

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 8:30 am
Atali wrote:
morkush wrote:

But even then you do it differently. First you would wash alternating hands, say asher yatzar, then wash for bread, then say netilas yadayim.

Not how I learned! I learned washing with a kli means you are yotzei al netilas yadaim (you don't actually have to wash with a kli after the bathroom, although many people are machmir/ noheig to do so). So if you come out of the bathroom and want to wash for bread, just wash without a kli under the tap - then say asher yatzar and then wash for bread as usual.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 8:53 am
shalhevet wrote:
Atali wrote:
morkush wrote:

Not how I learned! I learned washing with a kli means you are yotzei al netilas yadaim (you don't actually have to wash with a kli after the bathroom, although many people are machmir/ noheig to do so). So if you come out of the bathroom and want to wash for bread, just wash without a kli under the tap - then say asher yatzar and then wash for bread as usual.

And then there are those who hold even differently. That you could wash with a kli (3 right hand 3 left hand) and be yotzei for both. After washing you make first 'al netilas yadaim' and then right after make 'asher yatzar', and then 'hamotzi'.

ShiningThrough

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 11:54 am
Mrs XYZ, wouldn't that be considered as a 'hefsek' and speaking between 'al netilas yadayim' and 'hamotzi'?

hadasa

Post Tue, Apr 14 2009, 4:40 am
Marion wrote:
And here I thought the question was how many brachot are in the Asher Yatzar! (IMO 2...asher yatzar et ha'adam b'chochma and rofe kol basar umefli la'asot.)

No, it's what's called a long Brachah, which has Baruch Atah in the beginning and the end. Other examples of this are the first Brachos of Shmoneh Esreh and Birkas Hamazon, Al Hamichyah and many more.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Apr 14 2009, 5:12 am
ShiningThrough wrote:
Mrs XYZ, wouldn't that be considered as a 'hefsek' and speaking between 'al netilas yadayim' and 'hamotzi'?
if it's one brocho, a brocho arucha, no.

Quote:
Thanks, that's what I learned, too.
Somebody close to me says 'al netilat yadayim' before every time he says 'asher yatzar'. He's FFB and I'm BT but I learned that we say only 'asher yatzar' after using the bathroom (except when we wash after waking- thanks for the clarification, Shalhevet).
washing at any time besides the first (morning) washing, it's requirement (in terms of alternate three times on each hand) is a safek, therefore we DON'T make a brocha. The morning washing takes place after 1. the night, which tumah can come from 2. sleep, which tumah can come from. Only when the two coincide- both night and sleep- are the conditions right for making the brocha. AFAICR (although we do make the brocho even if one has been up all night.)

DevorahMonsey

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 9:56 am
Additionally I was taught that after washing and saying asher yatzar, you have to dry your hands before washing for bread.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions