Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Raw beans - a fun activity or a choking hazard?

greeneyes

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 11:15 am
I was trying to think of something fun that would keep my just about 2 year old daughter entertained yesterday. I remembered reading somewhere that raw beans and a bunch of bowls or cups make a great activity, so I set her up with that. She loved it, & it kept her busy for over an hour. Later on, when I mentioned this to my mother, she was horrified, because she felt like the beans were a choking hazard. Was I wrong for letting her play with the beans? I was in the same room as her the entire time, & she didn't try to put them in her mouth at all.

csb

Post Fri, Jun 19 2009, 12:00 pm
If you think that your toddler is old enuf to know not to put the beans in her mouth and you are watching the whole time, I think it is ok. I would not use this activity for my dd because she is a terror and would make a terrible mess and put them in her mouth... but I am sure you know your daughter and what is an appripriate activity for her.

greeneyes

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 4:14 pm
Thanks for your input, csb. Smile

Does anyone else have an opinion about this?

Zahava

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 4:32 pm
If they're small beans, I would be more concerned about her putting them in her nose than choking on them. They would slide down her stomach, but the nose is more problematic. We once needed hatzolah in such a situation, and BH we didnt need to go the emergency room to remove it; they managed to get it out.

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 4:48 pm
I think it is fine. I used to have a accredited family day care in my home; my supervisors and the accreditation rules were very strict about choking hazards. The kids could only have grapes cut in half, raw carrot had to be grated, etc. This type of activity, however, was allowed as long as I provided "total" supervision. Basically this meant that I had to stay right next to the activity the entire time it was out. You know your child and, I assume, provided a level of supervision that was appropriate for her. Have fun!

geemum

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 7:43 pm
Zahava wrote:
If they're small beans, I would be more concerned about her putting them in her nose than choking on them. They would slide down her stomach, but the nose is more problematic. We once needed hatzolah in such a situation, and BH we didnt need to go the emergency room to remove it; they managed to get it out.

children can put anything up their nose. my DS put a soup crouton into his ear and we had to call hatzola for that.

yes there is a risk allowing a young child playing with beans (you can also put in lentils and rice for variety), but it is great for their development, hand to eye coordination, textures etc my DS loves "pouring and tipping" with toy saucepans, toy cups, plastic bowls spoons etc etc

most toys have risks, especially playing at the local playground/park - but you can't keep your kids in a bubble. I would say play WITH your child or keep supervising very close by.

Have Fun!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 9:12 pm
Dd plays with cholent beans all the time. She loves putting them in different size cups and spilling it. She never tries to eat them or do inappropriate things with them. I am near her too and watching. If you think you're child is not gonna do anything silly with it then go right ahead.

rowo

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 12:04 am
I've done it with rice. ds loved it
(just do it outside if u can, I was sweeping up rice for days - and didnt even give him that much)

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 3:53 pm
Thanks, everyone. Now I'm feeling better about the whole thing. I was starting to feel like I did something really wrong by giving her the beans. It's good to know that it's an ok activity, as long as I'm watching her closely.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics