Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Changing minhagim
Previous  1  2

Inspired

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 1:55 pm
imamama wrote:
So, if this were the times of the Beit Hamikdash, and there were 2 kosher witnesses that saw me about to put my soup on the plata, and they warned me not to, but I did it anyway, would I get skilah?

That you took out of your refrigerator? I'll give you a minute to think about that. Wink

imamama

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 1:56 pm
Inspired wrote:
how else do you expect halacha and minhag to follow through from fire pits and communal ovens in the courtyard to electric ranges and ovens with digital read outs?

It makes sense if there's no way to inform everyone of the halacha because of lack of communication. So the rav of each community has to paskin for his community. But now we can reach every Jew in the world in a manner of minutes. Can't they all agree on one psak?

imamama

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 1:57 pm
Inspired wrote:
That you took out of your refrigerator? I'll give you a minute to think about that.

I meant if there was a Beit Hamikdash today. (I see why it was unclear, cuz I wrote "the times of the Beit Hamikdash." I worded that wrong.)

Inspired

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 2:00 pm
imamama wrote:
Inspired wrote:
how else do you expect halacha and minhag to follow through from fire pits and communal ovens in the courtyard to electric ranges and ovens with digital read outs?

It makes sense if there's no way to inform everyone of the halacha because of lack of communication. So the rav of each community has to paskin for his community. But now we can reach every Jew in the world in a manner of minutes. Can't they all agree on one psak?

I think that would be a sure recipe to get moshiach to come, get all jews to agree to one psak.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 2:16 pm
Strudel wrote:
My husband recently switched from being chassidish to being Safadhi.
Totally random, he has zero safadi blood.
Its caused me great pain and ruined our marriage. I wanted, and did, to marry a chossid. Now I'm married to a sort of safadi. He won't follow R'Ovadia, instead he follows the Ben Ish Chai.
Crazy, selfish thing to do.

(Any Safadi ladies, please don't take offense. Just imagine if your dh suddenly did a U-turn and become something else. You'd be hurt, frustrated and confused.)

Oy vey. I can't imagine marrying someone who is one way and having them do an about face.
Must be very, very complicated and painful. Hug

jelibean

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 12:07 am
I've wondered about this because my DH has become a Chabadnik (we're BTs), and has taken on Chabad minhagim, despite the fact that he's Sephardi (father is, mother is Ashkenazi). The only Sephardi minhag he's kept is slichot from Rosh Chodesh Elul on. So he keeps the 'harder' minhagim on both sides; meaning, he does Sephardi slichot and then keeps Pesach as a Lubavitcher.

Even though we're BTs, it's been very hard for me to make the switch from Sephardi to Chabad. One extreme to the other, especially when it comes to hair covering and keeping Pesach.

It's heartening, on the one hand, that in Chabad there's no Ashkenazi/Sephardi -- just Chabad. On the other hand, it does bother me that one has to give up their minhagim to be Chabad.

(In all fairness, I have to add here that we recently found out the DH's maternal great-grandfather, who was murdered in the Shoah, was a Radomsker chassid, talmid chacham and mechanech. So it's pretty cool that after 4 generations, chassidut is back in the family.)

amother

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 12:22 am
My question is............
My father and mother both took on minhagim that their parents did not do. For me, some of the minhagim do not have any significance at all and I am not interested in following them. It's not like I'm breaking a long chain of mesorah and minhagim. I always wonder how this works. What makes something mesorah or a minhag?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 8:22 am
When DH switched minhag, he had to ask permission from his father. That's what his Rav said. And no you can't switch back to the original minhag or selectively choose the one that suits you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions