Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Sukkah Hopping
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 8:49 pm
well I figured they would give nosh to the kiddies - it was your dh who they might not think is cute enough ... lol Nervous

Hello Kitty

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 9:00 pm
In Boro Park & Willy they go the first night when the men are in shul till they get back but they never get candy, just to see the decorations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 8:50 am
I need some advice on organising sukkah hopping in our neighbourhood. It will be on 1st day (ie shabbat) afternoon, probably as many as 10-15 kids, ages 4-12.

1) how do we "recruit" succah hosts? not everyone in my community has one that's large enough. We have 3 sukkahs lined up so far, I think I need some more but how many are optimal? Also one family said they want to know how many kids are coming specifically at what time--hard to give exact info.

2) I don't really like candy collecting--can't be done, first of all no eruv. I very much like the quiz idea--how can we do that on shabbat without carrying sheets or using stamps?

3) how long do the kids stay at each succah? what are the host families/rabbanim expected to do?

4) I guess you won't do this if it's raining... (folks this is england after all).

Mirabelle

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 9:11 am
Growing up in my neighborhood this was VERY popular. I would be very surprised if the practice has stopped. This was something that we kids waited for all year. We went into everyone's sukkah in the neighborhood to see if they had left out treats and I know people did the same to my parent's sukkah.

Some people did used to use bags, but the yeshivas sent out a notice that using bags was too much like trick or treating and the point of Sukkah hopping was to make a brachah in the Sukkah.

This was such a wonderful memory for me!

zigi

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 9:24 am
I remembering going when I was in bnei akiva we walked around the neighborhood and ate something in every sukkah.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics