Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Mystery hives

cdawnr

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 8:50 am
For the last month and a hlaf or so, my 4 yr old has been getting hives. It seems to occur on Shabbos or Sunday. The only thing I can suspect is grape juice, because I can't think of any other consistant food, since two of the shabbosim it happened on we were not at our own house. However, it hasn't happened every Shabbas, so that makes me doubt my conclusion.

She's a good eater and eats a wide variety of foods, so other than the grape juice, I am not even sure where to start!

Any suggestions welcome

bnm

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 9:07 am
hives can be caused by a few things:

stress
strept
allergies
(I get them from being out on a windy day)

drumjj

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 9:08 am
my daughter has also had this a few times, its really really wierd, her is also not consistent at all. oh and she is also four

familytime

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 9:21 pm
I feel for you and your son. as a child I suffered from chronic hives I would get it first on shabbos and then as it started progressing it would start up every evening...I would stay off wheat, grape juice, and all the works but nothing seemed to make a difference -and then after countless allergists and dermatologists visits it just went away-
from experience if the symtom is only hives and nothing internally (breathing or swelling of the mouth / lips) then how does the yiddish saying go "azoi vi es iz gekimen azoi vetes gein... keep him comfortableand try distracting him..

p.s. I do hope that you find the culprit asap
LOTS OF LUCK!

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 10:21 pm
A seed allergy from the challah?

qeenB

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 10:25 pm
my four year old breaks out from a specific type of yogert. I noticed it also on shabbos because that is when he would eat it. I stopped buying that brand.

cdawnr

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 12:33 pm
Thanks all.

I told her we were going to take 2 weeks off grape juice and then see.

I don't think its wheat because she eats bread and pasta during the week, no problem. As for seeds...possible, but she usually doesn't eat the crust of challah and if I make my own challah then I don't use seeds cause I am not a big fan...

Again, thank you all for the advice

estie6

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 1:30 pm
I'M SURPRISED NO ONE MENTIONED FISH!! UNLESS, YOUR DAUGHTER DOES'NT EAT IT.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 1:37 pm
does she only wear tights on shabbos? do you change the sheets on friday? maybe it's the detergent.

sim

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 1:37 pm
I had a similar experience with one of my children. We consulted with a top allergist and he told us that chances are good that we'll never figure it out; he thought it might be a seasonal environmental allergy. He turned out to be right, because now she gets vicious seasonal allergies when she used to get hives. You can do all the allergy testing if you want, but it isn't necessarily going to be conclusive, especially if it just continues to be hives and doesn't get worse (anaphylactic).

RM24

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 3:27 pm
I've actually been experiencing this myself for the past 3 months. It's totally unpredictable and impossible to pinpoint the cause. I've tried switching detergents with no luck. I think with time it'll just stop the same way it started since I didn't change anything in my diet to trigger it.
I find that Zyrtec works wonders, and its non drowsy. I end up taking one about 3 times a week (they last for 24 hrs each) and I'm fine. Maybe try that for your DD (not sure if its suitable for children though) it'll at least keep her comfortable.

Last edited by RM24 on Mon, Dec 21 2009, 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

cdawnr

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 3:43 pm
I did wonder if it could be fish (gefilte only, really) but my dh shrugged it off. that one is worthwhile watching cause fish can get worse.

All the clothing/detergent ones don't add up, especially as it also happened at my brother's house. And she wears tights everyday (we live in Montreal, brrrr).

Think I'll experiment first with grape juice, then fish and if I can't figure it out then I won't do more. Not worried about it as it doesn't bother her that much.

(Sim, I wasn't even going to try an allergist for this. I don't have faith in them because I had a bad experience.)

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 3:53 pm
But gef fish isn't a kind of fish. It's made up of other fishes. maybe one week, it was made of something that disagreed with her.

drumjj

Post Tue, Dec 15 2009, 3:58 pm
with us its def not fish because she doesnt eat fish. its just so random no idea what it could be.

cdawnr

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 8:18 am
Chocolate Moose,

One week of hives wouldn't have had me concerned. It's the pattern. Smile And since it was consistent on Sat/Sun, that's why I suspect Grape Juice.

cdawnr

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 11:30 am
well, it's not the grape juice...

thinking it might be somethingin the egg replacer I use since my #3 in egg intolerant. hmmmm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics