Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
My chulent doesn't come out mushi - help?

cinnamon

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:11 am
the beans in my chulent come out a little on the hard side. I soke them over night and cook the chulent about an hour and a half or two hours and then it goes on the plata all shabbos. any ideas how I can make the beans come out softer and the chulent be "mushier" as dh puts it?

tia

Zus

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:34 am
Either try to cook the beans longer, even put them on separately in the morning before you add the rest of the ingredients, or use a different type of beans.
I've noticed that some types of beans here in EY never get soft, no matter how long I soak and cook them.

EvenI

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 10:39 am
There are several ingredients that, if you cook them together with beans, will prevent the beans from ever going soft. I think anything acidic can do that, such as tomato paste. I don't think I use anything in my chollent that I know would have that effect, but since I don't like to risk it, I always cook my beans completely separately before I start my chollent. I often cook a whole bag of beans and split them into bags and freeze.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 10:49 am
is there enough liquid ?

also some of the potatoes should be cut very tiny so they "melt" and when you mix it - before shabbos - it should become mushy vs piecy ...

perhaps you are using too many beans ... and definitely go with a variety: some navy, pinto, kidney, etc.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 11:06 am
thanks!
I'll try cooking the beans separetly and adding some tinyly cur potatoes.
I'll let you know how it comes out.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 11:12 am
Of course it's not cooked enough, you're only cooking it for 2 hours.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 11:13 am
how long do you cook it for?

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 11:15 am
I cook it in a crockpot for around 7 hours. If I'd cook it on a stove, I'd probably cook it for four hours, or until the beans are soft.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 11:18 am
thanks

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 11:48 am
Try using navy (pea) beans, and barley. I soak them overnight in hot water, which softens them already. I agree that 2 hours is not enough to get them to be soft. Especially if you have it on a plata after that as opposed to a flame.

Tova

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:45 pm
Yup - needs more time.

I love a well-cooked cholent and will often put up the beans/ barley/ potatoes/ sauce/ spices Thursday night on high, add chicken/ meat on Friday morning and keep on high until about noon on Friday at which time we put on low. My last job before licht bentching is putting it on warm. [I often will also take some out of crockpot before Shabbos and put in a small pot on the blech to have Friday night.]

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 12:47 pm
Tova wrote:
Yup - needs more time.

I love a well-cooked cholent and will often put up the beans/ barley/ potatoes/ sauce/ spices Thursday night on high, add chicken/ meat on Friday morning and keep on high until about noon on Friday at which time we put on low. My last job before licht bentching is putting it on warm. [I often will also take some out of crockpot before Shabbos and put in a small pot on the blech to have Friday night.]
I used to cook my cholent in a similar fashion, but have since learned that cooking it on a low flame (letting it simmer basically) makes for a softer and mushier (and tastier) cholent.

Tova

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:13 pm
Totally a matter of taste. I love when it is so well done that the top is nearly burnt. The top layer is for me, and under that it is soft and to everyone else's liking.

I think cholent and chicken soup especially are very subject to people's preferences, and everyone claims to make the "world's best version!"

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:17 pm
Tova wrote:
Totally a matter of taste. I love when it is so well done that the top is nearly burnt. The top layer is for me, and under that it is soft and to everyone else's liking.

I think cholent and chicken soup especially are very subject to people's preferences, and everyone claims to make the "world's best version!"
Of course it is a matter of taste. And as I said, I used to the do the same.

I know all about the top. It gets crunchy and dry and that's also my cholent. Mr. Green

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:49 pm
I use canned beans. You also want very little water. A long pan is better than a tall one, if you know what I mean.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus