Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
What can be done with a scratched dvd?

Ronit

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 9:50 am
I started my diet again today & woke up extra early to do my excercize dvd. LOL

But it was all scratched (it wasn't in the case) & kept on stopping. Crying

Is there anything that can be done to it?

louche

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 11:39 am
You can try polishing it with a soft cotton cloth, rubbing from the center to the outside in straight lines, not in circles. If it's just buildup of foreign particles that will help. If it's actually scratched, it's ruined.

LeahW

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 11:50 am
There is some product out there that supposedly works to fill in the scratches, but I have no idea if or how it works or if it's just a big scam.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 11:53 am
I've heard you can use peanut butter to clean it ... What

Hodu Lashem

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 12:18 pm
I did a lot of research about this because I have little ones who have little regard for Cds or DVDs. Some advise toothpaste and there are some cheap machines that you can buy. All the machines that I checked into had mixed reviews, ranging from "It worked well" to "It ruined my CDs". All except one pricey machine which got excellent reviews across the board. Since I have so many music CDs and DVDs, it was worth it for me and I don't regret it. This is the machine:

http://www.amazon.com/DSR-R1-D.....=8-28

There is even a video on YouTube showing how to do use it.

If you are just interested in fixing that one DVD, I don't know what to say, but if you have this problem with many, it pays for itself already when you fix say, 4-5 regular Jewish DVDs.

Hope that helps!

Mommish

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 12:21 pm
My DH used to work with someone whose sister fixed scratched DVD's. I have no idea how she did it, but I'm sure there must be other people who do this. You should ask around or maybe look online. It was pretty cheap and saved many of our DVD's and CD's.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 12:21 pm
DD made a hanging Sukkah decoration in school from CDs. Each displayed a part of a pasuk from the Halelukah that talks about praising Hashem with musical instruments. Shiny, swingy and all around cool! 8)

yummydd

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 12:22 pm
I always use toothpaste, rub it in well, put under running water till all the toothpaste has gone off. Do not dry with anything let it dry on its own and it will be as good as new (hopefully)

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 1:02 pm
I have a ton that got scratched right away and need a good fixing. I'll try toothpaste, thanks.

Ronit

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 1:35 pm
Thanks for all the responses.

I will try my luck & let you know.

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 4:43 pm
I was in a computer game store once and they were offering a service to fix with laser scratched cds/dvds for a $1 or so.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 4:45 pm
All of my kids' DVDs were scratched and ruined and my housekeeper told me to rub ice on them. Sounded dumb to me, but I figured I had nothing to lose. She saved me hundreds of dollars to replace everything!

shlishka

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 4:48 pm
I read in Nachas magazine to spray some furniture polish on, and wipe off, as that fills in the scratches. The few CD's I tried it on, it worked.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 10:53 am
I have used a gadget called Skip Dr. which I believe today is called DVD Doctor or something like that to fix numerous cds and dvds, it works great as long as you follow the instructions and don't overdo it.

Ronit

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 5:55 pm
Thanks for the toothpast idea.

It's as good as new now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics