Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
14 months old and still not walking
Previous  1  2

mommy24

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 9:56 pm
oops, I have to edit that, I meant that he wasn't yet standing, he wouldn't put weight on one of his legs, he was crawling, but, he was only crawling the combat type crawling, not the usual ways a baby would crawl.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 10:11 pm
mommy24 wrote:
oops, I have to edit that, I meant that he wasn't yet standing, he wouldn't put weight on one of his legs, he was crawling, but, he was only crawling the combat type crawling, not the usual ways a baby would crawl.

my son is standing & he has all the other issues you say & he qualified for EI with a 50% gross motor disability. The combat crawling was with dragging one leg though.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 10:27 pm
My kids crawled by 14-15 months. They say the average is 14 months these days over 12 months years ago when kids still slept on their stomach. If she is taking 6-7 steps on her own then she's on her way to walking.

opinionatedbubby

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:32 am
Fourteen months is not late.
Did you put her to sleep on her back or stomach when she was an infant? As a parent, grandparent and babysitter for three decades (wow, I'm old!), I am totally convinced that the "back to sleep" campaign caused somewhat slower gross motor development in many many kids. BUT, I don't care, you should still put them to sleep on their backs, if the statistics on the reduction of SIDS are accurate (66% decrease is what I heard); it's a good trade off. Two of my grandchildren (back sleepers) never crawled or crept, they scooted around on their tushes 'til they could stand up. And I hear that's pretty common now. In my day ( I sound, like, ancient) I never heard of such a thing.

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 12:39 am
opinionatedbubby wrote:
Two of my grandchildren (back sleepers) never crawled or crept, they scooted around on their tushes 'til they could stand up.
THIS is much more of a concern, I think. I believe learning the act of crawling is important to learning development later on. In fact, I know one girl who never crawled, then when she went to school had minor learning difficulties. She was advised (at the age of 6!) to crawl around for a time every day; her learning improved greatly.

Oh, and my kids also walk late as a rule. One started at over 22 months. She just got up one day and started kicking a ball around the garden.

mammele26

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 1:47 am
My earliest walker (so far) was 17 mo. My latest at about twenty and a half, or twenty one! It never crossed my mind if something's wrong with them. I think as long as it looks like they will walk, meaning they do things that pre-walkers do, only later, it's fine.

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 5:52 am
DS#1 started walking at 17.5 months. He was a back/side sleeper. DS#2 started walking at 16 months. He was a tummy sleeper.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 5:59 am
My 3rd DS walked at 15 months and now we can't keep him still B"H !!! My other 2 walked at 12 months. They say up to 18 months is fine.

mommy24

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 11:36 am
chaylizi wrote:
mommy24 wrote:

my son is standing & he has all the other issues you say & he qualified for EI with a 50% gross motor disability. The combat crawling was with dragging one leg though.

It makes no sense that my son wasn't qualified. Believe me I argued plenty with them and am still arguing (now with other issues). Since he scored in average ranges for everything else tested, he wasn't approved. I am told it is hard to get services where I live. (not sure if that is true though)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics