Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My PICKY Eater

cbs880

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 7:17 pm
Somebody please help me.

I have a 3.5 year old son who is very specific about the food he eats. I try to make sure he gets something healthy every day but its so aggravating trying to get him to eat something he decided he doesnt like ( and usually he never even tasted!) Im worried that he isnt getting enough nutrients from the food he eats, which are mostly carbs. Note:He is tall for his age and average weight.
He doesnt like food with soft textures, so mashed potatoes and yogurts are out. If I make him pizza and the dough isnt crispy/crunchy, he gags on it. Eggs are out (both hardboiled and scrambled.) I have tried sneaking veggies into baked foods, but if he sees anything he doesnt recognize he wont touch it!
Some days I think the only protein he gets is from peanut butter!Sad

Here is a quick list of things he usually eats. Please input any ideas for what else I can be incorporating into his diet which would be a healthy/healthier option.

-BREAKFAST
cereal, without milk (He drinks milk separately from a cup..)

-SNACK (this is where I try to get some fruits/veggies in)
strawberries, in season, if sweet
apples
grapes
granola bars
junk Sad
muffin
carrot sticks with peanut butter
-LUNCH
pita with cheese
pita with avocado dip (guacamole)
pita with peanut butter
occasionally, pancakes with syrup
pasta
pizza
-DINNER
rice
french fries
hot dogs
pasta
hamburgers

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
a worried mom

Nomad

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 8:01 pm
omg - I feel for you! my kid is also SO picky! im also worried about him not getting enough protein.

I try to give him whole wheat carb stuff because that actually does have protein.

also, when he eats pasta, I try to sneak stuff into the sauce, like mashed up canned beans (white - so colorless) for extra protein. Does he take sauce on his pasta?

Also, while not the healthiest, he does sometimes like prepackaged chicken nuggets and fish sticks which has protein.

as far as veggies, how about celery sticks, cucumber circles, pepper sticks? those are crunchy and fun shapes.

I got these things from costco. they are freeze dried fruit that my son likes. no additives, just fruit. "Fruit crisps"
http://www.brothersallnatural.com/
my son also likes pineapple. if theyre too expensive, I get them canned...

but, OP - if he is eating a variety of that stuff during the week - it actually sounds pretty okay!

SingALong

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 8:11 pm
my DD soon to be 3 is also super picky but her menu choice is far smaller

daily intake:

bread
elbow macaroni
cucumbers
milk
apple wedges

once in a blue moon:
breaded chicken cutlet
broccli
chicken soup with veggies and noodles
mashed avocado on crackers

if I knew she would eat the once in a blue moon stuff more often I would make it for her daily but she rejects these foods 75% of the time, but will eat it sometimes. she's on the tall side, somewhat slim. dr. said she's fine.
she comes home from playgroup every day with her lunch untouched. I think she just doesn't like having to waste time eating when there is fun galore elsewhere. today I plopped her in front of a video at 5:30 since she hadn't eaten since breakfast and that's how she downed 3 shnitzels.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics