Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Stuffed Chicken Recipes, Anyone?

shirafruma

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 5:24 am
Does anyone have a recipe for chicken w/a rice stuffing?

I'm scared if I try it myself, it will be too dry..for example: Do I make the rice first, then stuff and bake the chicken, etc?

racheleezzy

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 5:27 am
I do a stuffed chicken with breadccrumbs and fried onions and mushrooms..... I really just use chicken bottoms with the skin on , and then make a small pocket between the skin adn the chicken and I saute an onion and mushrooms and combine it with seasoned breadcrumbs and then I stuff it under the skin and then on top I sprinkle olive oil and seasoning and then bake and it comes out so moist and yummy

Merrymom

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 7:06 pm
You need to cook the rice half-way, this way it isn't mushy but also won't be hard when it's all done. Saute some vegetables and add some liquid (like chicken stock) before stuffing.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 7:24 pm
I've made the rice and then stuffed it and I cooked it half way first and it came out the same.

What I did was cook the rice and in a separate pan sauted onions, celery, colored peppers, and garlic. Once the rice was cooked I mixed in the veggies, added spices and stuffed the chicken. The rice w/ the chicken essence came out great

shirafruma

Post Fri, Feb 19 2010, 12:37 pm
I tried using gefens boxed stuffing...

That stuff is GROSS. It taste like cardboard. And I think I overspiced the chicken to make up for it. And I think I ruined my soup. You cant win them all, I think...

Merrymom

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 6:27 pm
shirafruma wrote:
I tried using gefens boxed stuffing...

That stuff is GROSS. It taste like cardboard. And I think I overspiced the chicken to make up for it. And I think I ruined my soup. You cant win them all, I think...

Well, you learned your lesson. Either use challah or "ritz" style crackers. Both make a delicious stuffing. All you really need is some sauted onions, celery, and some people like a little bit of mushrooms and red peppers. Add your seasonings and a little chicken soup if you have. How did you ruin your soup though?

shirafruma

Post Sun, Feb 21 2010, 6:43 am
I have no idea what happened to my soup this week, I got rave reviews although my guests said it wasnt the same...I dont know what I did..I think last Shabbos was a real OFF shabbos. in the middle of the meal, my downstairs neighbor, a deranged goyt who has had issues since we moved in last month called the police and said we were being too loud and th elandlord, also a [gentile], called motzei shabbos and told me she will try to evict us. So I spent Motzei Shabbos depressed about my chicken, my soup, my deranged neighbor and landlord and davening to Hashem that this week will turn around right quick!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Feb 21 2010, 7:59 am
I'm quite sure I posted how to make tebeet somewhere in another post. Basic rule is to use parboiled rice, and have it soak in water (or better yet broth or something with diluted tomato paste or curry) for at least 30min (preferably 1hr) so the stuffing fluffs up nicely. No need to cook the rice separately if you're serving it for shabbat lunch. I prefer to season rice stuffing as chicken can be a bit bland. Also you'll need to add about 1/2 cup hot liquid before cooking so that the chicken/rice gets steamed.

You can use rice only (with seasoning and sauteed onion, other vegetables like grated and sauteed carrots) but it tastes nicer and less messy to serve if you mix either chicken or beef or even lamb mince. I prefer to mix (uncooked) sausage meat. The ratio is opposite of meatball, ie more rice than meat, say 2:1. Adding dried fruits like raisins, chopped figs, chopped apricots works very nicely.

So sorry to hear about the troubles with the neighbour/landlord. Hope all works well likvod shabbat.

shirafruma

Post Sun, Feb 21 2010, 2:58 pm
Thanks Mrs Bissili!

I hope to make it for the Purim Seuda bc its easy, fast, and cheap.

I hope my landlord/deranged neighbor situation works out fast also, because its been on my mind since Shabbos!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen