Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Do you think it's OK to post recipes from cookbooks online?
Previous  1  2

Do you think it's OK to post recipes from cookbooks?
Yes, why not  
 38%  [ 10 ]
No, the recipes are copyrighted  
 38%  [ 10 ]
I never thought about it  
 7%  [ 2 ]
Hey, I paid good money for it, I can do what I want  
 15%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 26

WriterMom

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 5:19 pm
Fabulous wrote:
I agree with most about posting a couple of recipes here or there and specifying the book. I would not buy a cookbook for one recipe. In fact, the fact that so many people were so happy with the purple spice and spirit cookbook recipes that were posted here inspired me to buy it myself. And I love it.
That's a good point. I don't have time to browse cookbooks in the store, and am reluctant to buy one without knowing what it's like. I use the library as a way of "test driving" cookbooks, but have also bought some after trying out the recipes posted by others, including here.

Annie

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 9:15 pm
I kind of look at it this way, if I need a recipe and I don't own the cookbook, calling and asking a neighbor to borrow her book to make the recipe is the same as asking someone on imamother to post a certain recipe, the only difference is it 's more likely someone here will have the recipe and be "home" when I call.

As long as it's attributed, I think it's fine, and as someone else mentioned, free advertising.

(edited b/c I can't spell late at night)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 8:00 am
WriterMom wrote:
Barbara wrote:
Re other matters, I really can't express a legal opinion. I can say that its best not to rely upon *common practice* or what people say on the net re any legal issue, including those involving copyright.

As long as we follow department guidelines, we're covered 8)

Good point, though, in any kind of institutional setting it's important to clarify what can be done and who's on the hook if there's a problem.

Yeah, and you definitely don't want to quote an Australian recipe (or even the ingredients to be on the safe side) after The Land Down Under kerfuffle Wink

cm

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 11:10 am
I have contacted a publisher before posting an attributed recipe on a Yahoo group - they said yes (I suppose it helps promote the book) - but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics