Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
How long did you use your first stroller for?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 10:12 pm
We are still using our first stroller (4 years), along with our first umbrella stroller (3 years).

sky

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 10:52 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:

Honestly, I love graco stuff. .

I once asked a frum store why they didn't carry Graco and he made a really snide remark about it. There wasn't a single stroller in the store that matched the price and most of the wheels on a lot of the carriages looked very similar to Graco. I don't get it. For a cheap carriage its a good deal.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 10:58 pm
It shouldn't be so difficult to understand. If a store wants to be considered an upscale store, they have to carry upscale brands (most of which have upscale prices). Graco products might be nice, but they are a mass market brand & their strollers aren't rated well by many consumers (although they rate the best among the cheaper brands). (Their carseat OTOH, has one of the highest rating available & thus they can feel safe carrying it even if it is cheaper). Therefore, they have a reputation to maintain & can't afford to let word get out that they recommended something they don't carry. Especially if they personally think it is too low class for their establishment. It would be bad for their sales commission.

spoons

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 11:47 pm
Inglesina zippy- going on 6 1/2 years= 3rd kid. and it's still doing exceptionally well and looks good too. I really love it- folds VERY easily and you can carry it in one hand, reclines OK, not all the way, but good. and the best feature? you can put your car seat in it (it's made to) so I never bought the Snap n Go.

anuta

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 12:01 am
My first child is 6, and I still have her first stroller, in almost perfect shape (foam on one handle peeled a bit), and will be using it for the baby due in June.
It is Zooper Z-street. They don't make this model anymore, but it is a two-handle stroller, folds compactly, but reclines fully for an infant. We've used it everywhere, took it on trips with us on airplanes (it takes the infant carseat, made my life easier - I don't like to use carseat configuration in everyday life, so airports was pretty much the only place I used the carseat adapter)...
My second stroller, also 6 years old, is Zooper Boogie. It is a large three-wheeled single, with a reversible seat. I have lent it to a friend more than a year ago, but it is a very sturdy stroller and I assume it is still in tip top shape - I'll just have to wash the fabric.

Marion

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 1:39 am
My first was/is a Graco...which is just over 4 years old and will be dusted off again sometime in the next month or so for baby #3, IY"H. I also have a Maclaren Techno XT which I bought 2ndhand (because I thought it would be easier on the bus; it's not); I bought it almost 4 years ago when it was "pre-loved" for 6 months already.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 1:48 am
My almost 3 year old Doctor Baby Madrid was used by us for over 2 1/2 years, pretty much every day. Then for 4 months it was used sporadically. Last month we loaned it to new parents who will be getting their stroller some time in the summer.

Once Nati goes to gan, we'll be back to using it more often.

Bliss

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 2:45 am
I'm still using my first Maclaren carriage with my third child now and it's still in pretty good condition. I used it with each child for about 20 months.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 5:52 am
My first stroller was a Martinelli, which I found out later is just an overpriced Prego Pliko. It lasted till baby #3 when I decided I really wanted a stroller I could snap a car seat into.

My second was a Graco Duorider. I hated it and couldn't wait till my oldest could walk so I could go back to using a single.

My third stroller was a Combi which I loved. I loaned it to a friend and it got ruined.

My fourth and fifth were Combi again, a single and side by side double. I needed lightweight and portable for a trip the family was taking that would involve lots of walking. They were inexpensive and lightweight. I still love them when I need to take kids with me on the subway.

My sixth stroller is a TikeTrax 360. It is a behemoth of a stroller but super comfy and easy to push. It was only $130.

It's funny that at the time I got my Martinelli it was $275 and considered one of the top strollers. I cringed at paying so much. Every time I have another baby and look at what's out there my mind gets boggled.

sky

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 9:17 am
chaylizi wrote:
It shouldn't be so difficult to understand. If a store wants to be considered an upscale store, they have to carry upscale brands (most of which have upscale prices). Graco products might be nice, but they are a mass market brand & their strollers aren't rated well by many consumers (although they rate the best among the cheaper brands). (Their carseat OTOH, has one of the highest rating available & thus they can feel safe carrying it even if it is cheaper). Therefore, they have a reputation to maintain & can't afford to let word get out that they recommended something they don't carry. Especially if they personally think it is too low class for their establishment. It would be bad for their sales commission.

I understand that part. But when I was there someone came in to buy an umbrella stroller and they were showing her one for $80, it was the size of a Graco carriage, and that was so much less then a Graco in every area.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 9:22 am
they can only sell what they have & upper scale umbrella strollers are expensive. a Mac Quest (for example) is close to $200 or possibly more than that(unless you find it used or on ebay). $80 is very cheap for an upscale umbrella. Sad but true. I hear the Graco offerings in the umbrella category are very good though- the Ipo & the Mosaic. Very well thought out. It would be a nice consideration for me if they had height adjustable handlebars (not that I'm in the market, but I always keep my eyes open).

BinahYeteirah

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 9:34 am
Raisin wrote:
BinahYeteirah wrote:
I'm still using my first stroller, over seven years later. I have since purchased a double stroller, but a single is still handy sometimes.

I want to know what stroller it is that lasts so long.

It's a Maclaren stroller. I bought it in 2002, but it was a 2001 model. I'm not sure if it was manufactured before or after their factory was moved to China (some people say the ones made in the UK are better made). I know people who are still using Maclaren strollers from 15-20 years ago. They don't look so fabulous anymore, but they work. My stroller has been with me through several international moves, and I'm pretty happy with how it has held up. I can't remember how much I paid for it, but it was definitely well under $200, maybe even under $150.

GetReal

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 9:47 am
I got a Kolcraft Universal Carrier that I used with a carseat for my first son for about 6 months. It's still in good shape but in the basement somewhere. Then I got an Inglesina Zippy, also in good shape, also in the basement, because ds2 came along and I got a Baby Jogger City Mini Double. So far I've loved all my strollers. Due with #3 soon IY"H and thinking about the new BJ buggy board, but it isn't out yet so I'm not sure.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 9:48 am
My first stroller is a bugaboo that is 3 years old, and we used for two children meanwhile. It is as good as new, even with daily use. When the fabric frays, I will replace the fabric set. I am starting to get really bored of the color, but I am not buying a new fabric just because of that. We use the buggy board along with it all the time, but I would love the new one that they made because it doesn't stick out as much as mine does. If I can get a decent amount for the old board, then I might upgrade.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 10:35 am
I used my first stroller, a UK Maclaren, for eight years and then it was STOLEN! Hard to believe, who would want an 8-year-old stroller? Though it still wheeled perfectly, but the blue teddy bear print was already faded! I used it for my 2 DD's and for my foster son.

When my baby DD was born I got the new Maclaren techno XLR and I love it! Though I also used one of those things - can't remember the name but y'know, you put the car seat on this set of wheels - for a while.

My Maclaren is roomy and comfy and lightweight, and has a basket and pockets for stuff. I took it to Eretz Yisrael and it held up with loads of packages and was easy to fold up and reopen every time they made me put it thru the scanners. Highly recommend! Been using it now for 2 years and it looks brand new! Also like the fact that this time I went with a tan color - as the blue's will fade much more.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 10:38 am
My perego plike, used for two kids but barely used it. I now have a newer one and it still is going strong after using a lot. I did purchase two graco look alike mclarens to use as a travel stroller that I love and two doubles that are barely used. I also had a great graco that was in the market for very little. It wasn't bulky and looked different then the rest of the gracos. That was used a lot by my first-going to sitter every day.

suomynona

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 10:44 am
My Zippy is totally falling apart after 2 kids, and that's with using the snap n go for the first 6 months with each of them. It probably has more to do with the way we treated it than the quality though. And I think strollers get much more wear and tear in Israel.
I think I'll go with the citi mini this time around.

campmommy

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 12:04 pm
peg perego pliko - 8 years, heavy use! I loved it and when it finally died, I wanted another but the price had gone up tremendously. I ended up getting a used inglesina zippy which folds beutifully, but the car seat doesn't seem safe enough to me and it's already falling apart. maybe if I had bought it new it would have been better, but I didn't. Also it's hard to get parts.

Tech_mom

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 2:12 pm
I still have my first stroller (it is 8 1/2 years old). it is an Inglesina (jet I believe). It was a closeout then- just before the zippy came out. It is still in excellent condition, but it is from those pre "one hand fold", "easy wheel- big wheel" stage. I recently bought a peg perego pliko from craigslist which wheels a lot easier.

It really depends where you live and how much you use your stroller, If you don't have a car, if you walk most places, how much you abuse it.

smileyface

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 4:06 pm
My first was a Macleeren 4 years ago, and im still using it for my 3rd baby- Its in perfect condition.
I also have a Jane double that I got 2 years ago that I still use very often. I hope they last a while.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics