Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
22 month old not talking

amother

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 11:15 am
I have a 22 month old boy who says literally only 2 words – mama and da (we speak Russian at home). Until now I kept telling myself that this is due to the fact that he hears 3 different languages (Russian at home and English and Hebrew at his daycare where he spends many hours a day) and I heard that this usually delays when the kids start speaking. I know his hearing is not an issue because 1) he clearly understands what he is told and is able to follow instructions and 2) he had tubes put in his ears so there is no issue of fluid, infections etc.

Can I still attribute this “delay” to hearing many languages and being confused? Or should I get worried and do something – like get him evaluated etc? His older brother (who only heard 1 language until he was 2) started speaking much earlier and is very verbal.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 11:24 am
I wouldn't be overly concerned, but I would get him evaluated. Even if it is due to multiple languages, etc. speech therapy can help. and I would expect that he would be eligible

egam

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 11:39 am
We also speak Russian at home. I don't have much advice for you since my kids had only one language till 2 as well. But I've heard that if kids are exposed to few different languages from early age, they don’t get confused and can switch from one to another depending who they are talking to. But sometimes if there are delays, therapists recommend using only one language. But I also found out from my own experience that as soon as they realize you speak different language at home they blame all the problems for that and not willing to look deeper. If you don't want to loose Russian, just wait and see, some kids are just late talkers.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 11:46 am
egam wrote:
We also speak Russian at home. I don't have much advice for you since my kids had only one language till 2 as well. But I've heard that if kids are exposed to few different languages from early age, they don’t get confused and can switch from one to another depending who they are talking to. But sometimes if there are delays, therapists recommend using only one language. But I also found out from my own experience that as soon as they realize you speak different language at home they blame all the problems for that and not willing to look deeper. If you don't want to loose Russian, just wait and see, some kids are just late talkers.

Well, he hears some Russian at the gan as well, so I don't think cutting out Russian at home would help (we wouldn't consider that but still). Besides, he will still hear two languages...

I keep hoping he is just a "late talker" but I am wondering if I am just in denial. What's the point at which not speaking becomes abnormal as opposed to just on the late side?

MrsDash

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 11:52 am
You shouldn't jump to any conclusions and drive yourself nutty. Maybe get him evaluated. Best to be safe than sorry.

Plonis

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 12:04 pm
In my opinion, if he is clearly understanding things and is able to communicate (nonverbally) there's nothing to worry about.

If you want to DO something about it, Hanen's book "It Takes Two to Talk" has lots of great ideas for "home therapy" (games to play, ways to talk) to help encourage speech sooner. It's expensive ($50) but I think it's worth it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0921145195

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 12:25 pm
My 22 month old does nt speak either. he doesnt even say mommy and totty. he CAN say it, but doesnt use it. I am in the process of evaluating him for speech therapy and he will probably be approved and also get Special Ed as he's not playing with toys really. I'm so grateful to our wonderful E.I. system. It doenst hurt to get him evaluated so at least you know where he stands, even if he isnt approved. there are many agencies with bilingual therapists, you can get russian speaking therapists and evaluators.

RachelEve14

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 2:47 pm
I can't tell if you are in EY or not, but my twins didn't speak until after 2 (and they only really heard one langaguge at that point), and Avraham Tzvi has also been on the late side for speech. The twins got speech for a year, then gan safa for a year. This past year Rena went back to speech + gannent shiluv for gan chova, and Nechama stayed an extra year in the safa program. You have nothing to lose by evaluating it now and everything to gain for speech therapy if needed. Avraham Tzv had a speech eval just before he turned 2, and they told me to bring him back for a followup at 2.5. I'd much rather take care of it sooner rather than later.

Hatzlacha.

e1234

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 2:50 pm
my son is 20 months and only has a handful of words.

he is supposed to have more but I'm not concerned.
He understands everything in english and can follow instructions.
he hears three languages.

my 4 year old was also like this and not talks to no end and in 3 languages (english and yiddish well - and some basic hebrew) -- I think it's just some kids take longer to start speaking but once they start they pick it up quickly.

anon

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 12:07 am
The general advice is that you should definitely go for an evaluation if the child doesn't have a language burst by around age two. Obviously there are many reasons to be highly concerned before age 2, and there are also some children who don't start speaking until well after 2 and they're "fine". But unless you're an expert in child development, I would not wait past age two.

As an aside, there are various signs which point to a child being a "late talker" versus actually delayed. Firstly, the child should be demonstrating age-appropriate fine and gross motor skills as well as play/cognitive skills. They should have age-appropriate receptive language skills (comprehension). If a child is speaking late in addition to other delays, it is more concerning.

Also, an interesting sign of "late bloomers" is their ability to be creative in communicating their wants and needs. For example, your 22 month nonverbal child wants something so he points to it. You don't know what he's pointing to. Does he then throw himself on the floor in a fit of frustration, or does he take your hand and direct you to what he wants, or grab a stool to stand higher up so he can point more closerly? etc. Creative non-verbal expression in a late-talker is a sign that the child may be "fine" or even particularly bright.

e1234

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 2:28 am
Quote:
Also, an interesting sign of "late bloomers" is their ability to be creative in communicating their wants and needs. For example, your 22 month nonverbal child wants something so he points to it. You don't know what he's pointing to. Does he then throw himself on the floor in a fit of frustration, or does he take your hand and direct you to what he wants, or grab a stool to stand higher up so he can point more closerly? etc. Creative non-verbal expression in a late-talker is a sign that the child may be "fine" or even particularly bright.

my ds is like this - that he can communicate everything without a problem without many real words - - I think because he manages to communicate so well - he doesn't have the need to really speak.

it is also a good idea to read to the child and speak clearly to him.

Miriam770

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 5:18 am
hat I saI will like to share with you my experience... My first two kids they talked and talked... my third two weeks ago sterted to say a looooooot ... now he is 2 and 1/2 years...
More than 6 month ago I went to diferent doctors.... he was not talking at all and I was very worried that he 1)is not listening or 2)is not talking...
They sent me to do an audiometri... (I'm not quite sure if this is the right name in the USA) you put the kid in a close box and they check depends on his reaction if he listened or not... Took me 6 month to get that appointment because in kids under 5 years old there is no private place just the hsopital...
The day of the apointment my san was terrify on the box (I was with him) he didn't react to any noise... he just keept saying abba abba... the doctors couldn't do there job... but they asked me simple questions like if he does what we ask him to do... if he responds when we call him...
The test result was more in relation to what I said...
If your kids doesn't screem and answears you everytime you calling him... or if you ask him... where is your eyes and he put his hand on his eyes... could be that you have a kid like me... that takes his time to talk...
I think in the US to get tested is easier than here... to feel more relax just test him...
I did it because I felt that soemthing was wrong... B'H he is ok... just lazy talking...
Good luck.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 5:28 am
I would definitely check it out, especially since you have only one older child to compare his development to. I know that I would worry a lot if a 22 month old of mine had only two words, because all my other kids spoke much earlier. But maybe your just won't and be fine. If you're already asking, then go see a doctor.

It's possible for hearing to be fine and processing to be not fine. Just keep it in mind.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics