Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Should I pu her diaper back on or stick it out?

cinnamon

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 12:37 pm
My dd is almost three y.o a lot of her friends are trained already and she drived me nuts to take off her diaper, so I did even though I didn't really think she was ready. Well its been off since last sunday and she is always having accidents. I ask her all the time if she needs to the bathroom and she tells me yes or no depending on how busy she is. There was one time the whole week and a half when she told me she needs to the bathroom and we went and she really made. One time and that's it!
I can ask her if she needs and she says no and a second later she makes on the floor or she can go to the bathroom sit for a little bit, say she is finished and then come out of the room and make on the floor.

It is driving me crazy! What do I do? Should I put the diaper back on (she will be very unhappy!)
Should I stick it out and hope it gets better soon?
I am getting really nervous about this... Help?

louche

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 12:40 pm
Sounds like dd isn't ready. I'd go back to diapers for a while. If she's offended enough, she'll make it her business to do her business where and when appropriate.

marina

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 12:55 pm
I would certainly stick it out with that age. But do not listen to her when she says she doesn't have to go. Just put her on every hour, don't even ask if she needs to go. Use a timer and she will get used to it.

My kids were very similar. They never needed to go until it was too late. I ended up with a strict rule of "try anyway" and it eventually worked. If you think she needs to go, put her on and put away the toys or whatever she is distracted with until she sits for 3 minutes.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 1:06 pm
Dd didn't tell me at the beginning if she needed to go or not.
Once she got the concept of using the potty...
(I gave her lots of her favorite drink, sat her down on the potty, read her two potty books, and played out the scenes with a teddy bear and a toy potty. I sat with her until she went (from all that liquid that I gave her to drink) and made a big deal about what a big girl she is, and gave her a prize. I repeated this a few times.)
...I sat her down on the potty every hour, and waited with her there while I read her books until she went.
It takes time from when they are "Mommy trained" (uses the bathroom when Mommy sits them down, doesn't have accidents in between), to when they are really fully potty trained.
Good luck!

cinnamon

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 1:03 am
thanks!
I'll try putting her on every hour because I don't really want to put her back in a diaper.
I'll let you know how it turns out!

ally

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 2:33 am
If she is still having accidents with every hour, start off with a smaller time frame. If she is (mostly) successful that day, then increase the time the next day.

Isher

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 2:58 pm
Making a big deal every time she goes and is successful adds to their self esteem and will encourage her to try it again next time.

With my kids, in the beginning I usually offer a small treat, and my other kids also make a big deal and the kid feels like a big kid and wants to maintain that status.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training