Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Nicknames

amother

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 3:58 pm
Any issues with calling kids nicknames?

And what makes something a nickname?

I assume Yossi is not considered a nickname for Yosef. Or Huvi a nickname for Ahuva. They are just shortened or easier or more childish variations.
I am especially wondering about the name Mimi. As far as I know, it's not a name but usually a variation either or Miriam or Miri.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:13 pm
Any shortened version of a name is a nickname. Avi, for avraham, Bentsy, for bentzion, racheli, for rachel Lele, for leah.

Or a pet name that is not connected to the original name. Lalli, Ray ray,

life'sgreat

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:22 pm
Personally if given the name Miriam or Mirel, I'd rather call the child Mimi. AFAIK the root of these two names is Mar, and not something I'd want to use too much, but that's just my personal preference.

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
Any issues with calling kids nicknames?

And what makes something a nickname?

I assume Yossi is not considered a nickname for Yosef. Or Huvi a nickname for Ahuva. They are just shortened or easier or more childish variations.

That's what a nickname is.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:03 am
My MIL is Miriam but called Mimi. A little girl I babysit is also Miriam, but they call her Miri. I also know a Yosef who only goes by Yossi.

My cousins asked a shaila because they wanted to call their daughter Esti, and they weren't sure if they should call her Esti at the Torah or Ester. The rav (they are Israeli Charadi), said they should call Ester at the Torah and make sure to use it sometimes, but they could also use Esti as a nickname.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names