Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Scd help--need to stop losing weight.
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 10:59 pm
sorry maybe im naive but whats scd?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 11:23 pm
Nuts wrote:
What is scd?

amother wrote:
sorry maybe im naive but whats scd?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t.....XzkPA

behappysk

Post Fri, Mar 12 2010, 11:58 am
hey thanks ra-mom that's very thoughtful!

greatful

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 3:17 pm
If you like almonds, almond paste is yum and heapthy fats... on toast or crackers.....
peanut butter too....

4Sisters

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 12:18 am
Something I wanted to recommend is that you make yogurt using whole cream or, at a minimum, whole milk. It's so great for using in recipes, and makes for great smoothies in the morning if you blend it w. frozen fruit, esp. bananas, some honey and, if you want, some vanilla and flax seed oil (flax seeds themselves are not okay on SCD, but the oil is).

Do either of the gemachs ship their stuff??? And where are they--one in Monsey and one in Brooklyn?

Last edited by 4Sisters on Tue, Dec 20 2016, 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

behappysk

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 12:06 pm
one of the gemachs are in New Squere and the other is in Boro Park.

skcomputer

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 12:25 pm
Hi Mummiedearest - we just came back from the gastroenterologist today and my daughter on SCD lost 10 lbs this year, which isn't good at all. That's 10% of her body weight and she's down to 99 lbs (at just about 5 feet tall). Two years ago she was 116, which was too high.

Last time she went to the nutritionist (who was fluent in SCD) and the message was pretty simple. Count calories, count fat grams and eat smaller amounts frequently throughout the day. For my daughter, I think she aimed at 55 g of fat per day. She found a web site that told her how many calories to consume based on her height, current weight, level of exercise and desired goal (maintain, lose, gain). She started counting calories and fat grams in everything and it worked out fine. This year, however, she had a really hard college course load, not too many choices for scd food in the caf, and a lot of stress with finals. The gastro today said to go back to the nutritionist again.

Anyway, the upshot is that she could manage getting the fat and calories by eating nuts in addition to her regular menu. She carries either small packages of nuts that you can get in the store or she counts them out and puts them in little ziplocs. The other high calorie/high fat thing is lactose-free cheese. Between nuts and cheese you should be able to meet the daily calorie goals. My daughter loves avocado, but they're hard to get at school. Chopped liver is another good option, but you will probably have to make it yourself.

BTW - did you get to go to Israel??? I remember you were concerned about getting enough SCD food there. My daughter is leaving in late June for a summer internship. She has to do all of her own cooking, but for her, that's an ideal situation.

skcomputer

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 12:27 pm
Since I have the attention of people familiar with SCD, can anyone recommend a good recipe for "Bread" with nut flour? My daughter has been asking for a recipe, but the one I tried a few years ago totally fell apart and tasted awful.

p.s. the Monster nut cookies in the Elaine book are a good source of calories and fat.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 2:19 pm
skcomputer wrote:
Hi Mummiedearest - we just came back from the gastroenterologist today and my daughter on SCD lost 10 lbs this year, which isn't good at all. That's 10% of her body weight and she's down to 99 lbs (at just about 5 feet tall). Two years ago she was 116, which was too high.

Last time she went to the nutritionist (who was fluent in SCD) and the message was pretty simple. Count calories, count fat grams and eat smaller amounts frequently throughout the day. For my daughter, I think she aimed at 55 g of fat per day. She found a web site that told her how many calories to consume based on her height, current weight, level of exercise and desired goal (maintain, lose, gain). She started counting calories and fat grams in everything and it worked out fine. This year, however, she had a really hard college course load, not too many choices for scd food in the caf, and a lot of stress with finals. The gastro today said to go back to the nutritionist again.

Anyway, the upshot is that she could manage getting the fat and calories by eating nuts in addition to her regular menu. She carries either small packages of nuts that you can get in the store or she counts them out and puts them in little ziplocs. The other high calorie/high fat thing is lactose-free cheese. Between nuts and cheese you should be able to meet the daily calorie goals. My daughter loves avocado, but they're hard to get at school. Chopped liver is another good option, but you will probably have to make it yourself.

BTW - did you get to go to Israel??? I remember you were concerned about getting enough SCD food there. My daughter is leaving in late June for a summer internship. She has to do all of her own cooking, but for her, that's an ideal situation.

thanks for everything, skcomputer. no, I didn't get to go to israel. maybe next year, who knows.

anyway, for a fun update...

after losing a grand total of 60 pounds (some of that was from weening, but it was mostly from the diet, and I only use whole milk products, live on cheese and nuts, etc...) I finally gained back a few pounds! yay! I'm in an ok range for my height, it was ok to lose the weight, so don't worry. I'm hoping I stay where I am right now, but I'm glad to no longer be shrinking.

thanks for all your help, folks.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 8:30 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
after losing a grand total of 60 pounds (some of that was from weening, but it was mostly from the diet, and I only use whole milk products, live on cheese and nuts, etc...) I finally gained back a few pounds! yay! I'm in an ok range for my height, it was ok to lose the weight, so don't worry. I'm hoping I stay where I am right now, but I'm glad to no longer be shrinking.

thanks for all your help, folks.

Chasdei Hashem!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise