Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
I feel cheated

baba

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 4:47 am
I know it's a little silly, but right now, this is how I feel.
My daughter's skin is very sensitive. We guessed so from day one being that she is so white and has the same skin as my bil, who has a lot of problems with it.
She has a little neuro-dermatitis, but nothing to terrible.
I recently stopped nursing her after 16 months and was told by her ped that stopping would not affect her skin.
Well, here we are a month later and her skin is the worst it has ever been. She needs an antibiotic cream to take care of some of the spots that are really infected.

I nursed for so long and now the minute I stopped it's there. I know nursing isnt a full proof guarantee that nothing will happen and who knows, maybe otherwise it would have been worse, but this that is on an intellectual level. Emotionally I just feel cheated.

louche

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 10:35 am
Emotionally cheated? What does that mean?

baba

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 10:40 am
I meant that on an intelectual level I understand it all, but emotionally, I still feel cheated.

mazeltov

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 11:03 am
I think I know what you mean.

when you try so hard and sacrifice for a specific purpose, and then it seems to go all wrong- such disappointment and a feeling like you sacrificed for nothing.

I've had that feeling for other situations. it's hard.

but you should know that regardless, there are so many benefits that you and your child had from the breastfeeding process, so don't feel like it was for nothing.

you are a hero for sticking it out.

good luck and I hope her skin clears up completely. but even if it doesn't, you should know that it's still great that you breastfed her. and it's not your fault that her skin is like that.

baba

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 11:16 am
Thank you.
I really do understand all that, it just sucks, that's all.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 11:23 am
I know what you mean..when my dd was 8 months old, dh had a cold sore and kissed my baby on the forehead. He didn't realize how contagious it was. She ended up with a rash that started to spread on her entire body. Today, at 4, you can still see where it started on her forehead, she gets terrible rashes, and has the worst allergies. Then I also wonder if part of the problem is because I had chicken pox when I was pregnant with her! I always wonder if that makes her more susceptible to these kinds of things, and feel terrible (not that it was my fault!)

Zus

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 11:42 am
Ugh.
Goes to show once again, doctors don't know everything. Especially about nursing Sad

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 10:51 pm
baba wrote:
I meant that on an intelectual level I understand it all, but emotionally, I still feel cheated.

Skin infections happen, they could have happened while she was nursing. I doubt that its the weaning that caused it. The fact is that in the last month it became much hotter then before, with heat comes humidity and sweat, and with that comes skin irritation. I would sooner blame the weather then the lack of breast milk.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics