Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are we poisoning our families with this?

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 12:29 pm
Click here to see how we're poisoning our families!Mercola's Site

grin

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 12:33 pm
no thanks, I refuse to click on the basis that ignorance is bliss (or: we're going to get poisoned one way or another - the heck with it!)

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 12:34 pm
It's pretty scary, Grin. Confused

grin

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 12:38 pm
OK - I read it now. aluminum pans are poisonous, now non-stick are poisonous - I assume there are problems also with cast-iron? what are we expected to cook with? that's what I meant.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 12:43 pm
Rocks, over an open pit on rocks...just keep in mind though that then we are poisoning the atmosphere.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 12:46 pm
Didya know there's an obscene and useless amount of aluminum in things? Many baking powders/sodas have aluminum as does deoderant. Why? I avoid as much as possible, because it really isn't good and can cause heavy metal retention. That being said, I also have learned to pick and choose the things I try to really stick with because there's no sense in making yourself crazy.

bluebird

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 1:32 pm
At this point, we're so exposed to PFOA from industrial use that I doubt switching away from Teflon cookware would really make much of an impact on how much we accumulate in our bodies. Cookware receives a lot of focus because it's the easiest thing to heat to 680ยบ F and cause PFOA outgassing (doesn't happen below that temperature). Teflon also unexpectedly used in lots of products that emit heat: hair dryers, space heaters, coffee makers, etc. Sometimes you can burn it off by running the device continuously for a day or so, but that's not possibly or practical with everything.

I don't use Teflon cookware because I have parakeets and I had an incident where I *did* overheat an empty pan and set off smoke detectors (in my defense, the burner's dial was stripped and it appeared to me that I had turned it off while it was still on high!). BH the birds were OK. If I didn't have the birds I'd probably use it.

I guess we could all use solar cookers. Just be careful not to burn your meat, since that causes carcinogenic compounds to form, too. Sad There's no good solution.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 3:43 pm
Ignorance is not bliss when you can do something about it, it is ignorant!

Use pyrex. Definintely care about stuff like this. People didnt know chewing tobacco was bad for you and when it came out Im sure some people called it paranoia ,... it was sooo the norm. The more we care, the more we protect our families, and the more companies will find new ways to produce . Just look at how Babies R us is now BPA free.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen