Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Fruitflies EVERYWHERE :(

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 4:25 pm
Major issue. I was away the whole yom tov. I came back Sunday night, and since then, my kitchen mainly, but my whole apartment is infested with these little pesty annoying fruitflies. Im goin crazy... Any suggestions/advice on how to get rid of them? I left my house clean when I left with no food or junk out so I have no clue where they came from. Please help!!

canadamom

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 4:28 pm
someone in a restaurant business once told me, that when there are fruit flys he opens up a bottle of beer, the flies autimatically go there, he waits a bit, and throws it all out. I never tried it, good luck!
( I do know that when you remove the source they will slowly dissapear, so make sure you have no food out what so ever...)

amother

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 5:05 pm
This trick works every time (unfortunately I have experience):

Take a piece of fruit, preferably one that is overripe, and put it in a bowl. Pour balsamic or red wine vinegar in the bowl, enough to cover the bottom (the fruit should be saturated with the vinegar too.) Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and poke holes on top with a fork-- the flies fly in and then don't know how to get out.

I've tried the wine/beer bottle thing too, but ime the bowl method is faster and more effective.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 5:58 pm
Thanks so much for your replies. Im going to try these and hopefully it will work. If there are any more ideas please pple post in case these dont work

acccdac

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 6:01 pm
I've used apple cider vinegar in a bowl or cup, covered in saran wrap with holes poked in.

they can figure out how to get in but too stupid to get out!

JC

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 6:33 pm
I use the vacuum cleaner wand to suck in the bugs. I spray in a shot of bug spray and cover the wand with plastic or foil till I suck in some more.

Lydia

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 7:21 pm
I use the cider vinegar-in-a-bowl trick, except that I also was told to add a drop of lemon scented soap.

Also, instead of using a bowl and plastic wrap, which is very messy if tipped over, I use restaurant-style disposable plastic condiment cups with plastic lids. I poke a smallish hole in the top, and have never had one spill even if tipped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry