Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Need wrap recipes for party

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 4:10 pm
I would like to serve wraps at our chanukah party. We are serving milchigs, so does anyone have any pareve or milchig recipes for wraps?

I was thinking grilled vegetables and cheese, but it might be a lot of work grilling the veggies.

they need to taste good a couple of hours after being made as well. Would avocado go brown if left too long in a wrap?

origianl and creative ideas please!

Tova

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 4:59 pm
Not too original or creative, but how about tuna salad? Falafel and chumus?

chanahlady

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 5:14 pm
This reminds me that I really want to make this recipe. It looks so good!

PLANTAIN WRAPS WITH TANGY BLACK BEAN SPREAD

From Jennifer McCann, author of "Vegan Lunch Box" (Da Capo Lifelong, 2009).

Fried plantains make a wonderful sandwich or wrap filling when combined with zesty bean spread and spicy salsa. The bean spread also can be used as a dip for baby-cut carrots and tortilla chips.

MAKE AHEAD

The black bean spread and plantains can be made and refrigerated a day in advance; the wraps are best assembled the day they will be eaten. You'll have some black bean spread left over after making these wraps.

15 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup

2 teaspoons wheat-free tamari

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste

Salt

2 ripe plantains (look for dark yellow skins with black patches)

2 tablespoons canola oil

Freshly ground black pepper

4 (10-inch) gluten-free wraps or tortillas

Homemade or store-bought salsa, for serving

1. To make the bean spread, combine the beans, lemon juice, ketchup, tamari, cumin and cayenne pepper in the bowl of a food processor; puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides, as needed. Taste and season with salt; adjust the cayenne. (At this point, the spread can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 1 day.)

2. Use a sharp knife to peel the plantains. Cut them crosswise in half, then cut each of the halves lengthwise into quarters (yielding 16 pieces total).

3. Line a plate with several layers of paper towels.

4. Heat the oil in a large, nonstick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the plantains, cut-sides down, in a single layer; cook for 5 minutes, until the plantains are reddish brown, then turn the pieces over and cook another 5 minutes. Transfer to the paper-towel-lined plate to drain, then season lightly on both sides with salt and pepper. (At this point, the plantains can be cooled, wrapped and refrigerated for 1 day.)

5. To assemble, heat a dry skillet over medium low. Heat the wraps, one at a time, just enough to make them pliable.

6. Slather each wrap with black bean spread, then arrange 4 of the cooked plantain wedges on top. Roll up like a burrito, tucking the ends in as you go. Serve with salsa for dipping. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional analysis for each serving 397 calories, 9 g protein, 71g carbohydrates, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 579 mg sodium, 8 g dietary fiber, 16 g sugar

shanie5

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 6:18 pm
y dont you have a make your own wrap buffet?

tuna, egg salad, roast veggies, sliced tomatoes, onions, cole slaw, shredded cheeses, sprots, etc.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 1:58 am
shanie5 wrote:
y dont you have a make your own wrap buffet?

tuna, egg salad, roast veggies, sliced tomatoes, onions, cole slaw, shredded cheeses, sprots, etc.

hmm, thats a really good idea. And will save hours of work!

any more ideas of fillings? a bean dip/refried beans is a great suggestion.

sunny90

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 2:09 am
Veggie chili made with soy crumbles.
Grilled veggies is a great idea, I'm pretty sure you can even freeze them so you can grill them a week before to save yourself time and then just warm them up in the oven.
You can slice the avocado right before everyone comes, sprinkle a bit of lemon juice over it--I think that helps keep the color for a bit longer.
Even warmed up baked beans is good, my family loves when we make bean burritos...

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 7:02 am
chumus, techina, israeli salad-anything u would put in a pita or sandwich is good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen