Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
WWYD: Clueless 8YO being taken advantage of?

aidelmaidel

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 4:08 pm
I have an 8yo dd who is learning disabled and socially awkward.

She is generally a good and kind child who is generally clueless and oblivious to how others can treat her. She's like a puppy - she'll do anything to please someone who is nice to her.

Today we had mesibos shabbos in our house for her class. One child stayed after and said she was staying until after shabbos so they could work on a project for school. My DH and I had plans to go out right after shabbos and my ex was taking the girls.

When I asked the child who was picking her up, she said no one, that she was staying to work on the project and that my daughter had told her it was okay.

So sigh, I had no problem with her staying to play, but who was going to pick her up? Why did no one ask me first (like a parent)? I could have said in advance what our plans were.

As it turns out, the girl is almost 10 and my dd just turned 8. This girl seems a little awkward also, but I got the vibe the two of them were colluding/lying to me.

When I called her parents motsi shabbos they thought I had given rishus.

I'm thrilled she has a friend finally, but a little nervous since the girls is almost 2 years older.

Yocheved84

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 4:18 pm
Do you think it may be premature to say your DD is being taken advantage of? I think you should give it time and see--when they are playing, keep the door open so you can overhear their conversations. Maybe this 10 year old is emotionally immature for her age and is better off playing with an 8 year old. (That, or your very kind 8 year old is mature enough for friendships with 10-year olds.) Kids can often fib, and since you don't know who was behind it in this scenario, give it another go-around and see.

btw, your daughter sounds very kind Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children