Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Cord Blood

amother

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 5:28 pm
Just wondering... What are your thoughts? Is it worth it? or is it a scam? (I'm talking about legitimate companies...)

Pros:
1) Well, the obvious. I mean, science advances rapidly, and if C'VS if my child were to have some kind of horrible illness that could be cured with previously banked cord blood, well... It would be worth it, no matter what the price.
2) If it's compatible with siblings then cord blood banked for one MAY be used for another

Cons:
1) Price (but given pro #1, this is may be a moot point)

But here is my main concern:
Most illnesses are genetic to some point, at least in the sense that you can be genetically predisposed to them but may never get sick if the illness is never triggered. So how do you cure a disease with your own blood, which has your DNA which contains the genes to this illness?

skymile

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 10:57 am
I don't understand. I think you donate it to a bank. you don't use it for yourself. are you talking about the blood from the umbilical cord? I filled out a bunch of papers @ my doc's office and they will take care of it when I give birth. you get a special kit that goes directly to Chai Lifeline.

yb

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 11:05 am
luv2cook4eva wrote:
I don't understand. I think you donate it to a bank. you don't use it for yourself. are you talking about the blood from the umbilical cord? I filled out a bunch of papers @ my doc's office and they will take care of it when I give birth. you get a special kit that goes directly to Chai Lifeline.

Um, I think you need to look into the information more. Umbilical cord blood-banking is taking the blood from the umbilical cord at birth and banking it for future (CVS) use, in your family (your child, siblings). You pay a fee per month/year to keep it stored in a facility.

If you choose to donate it, that's something else.

As for the OP's questions...It is not most diseases that are genetic, many just "happen" (clinically speaking, not a religious statement), and the cells that are found in the umbilical cord can treat many diseases. They are cells that could have become any number of organs in the baby so can be used to treat many different types of illnesses. Diseases are not necessarily linked to DNA, especially not in a way that your own cord blood could not help. Remember, it is not "regular" blood like you give at a blood drive, it is umbilical cord blood which is quite different.

That being said, I have never banked cord blood and don't plan on it. It is expensive, I don't feel that the technology is at its peak, and B"H, may we never need it.

cm

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 11:06 am
luv2cook4eva wrote:
I don't understand. I think you donate it to a bank.

There are two options (or were, when I was having a baby almost 12 years ago): donating to a bank for others to use, or keeping it for yourself in a private bank, a fairly expensive service. My midwife mentioned that mixed-race couples or people otherwise unlikely to find a genetic match are most likely to benefit from the fee-for-service banking.

I wanted to donate my baby's cord blood, but at the time it was not so well-known and there was some misinformation floating around...by the time we got the papers filled in and sent, I was already in labor and there was no time for the bank to send the kit to the hospital. I'm glad to hear it's easier now.

Queen18

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 11:13 am
I don't think it's a scam. Whether or not the uses will ever be widespread is questionable, but ch"v, lo aleinu, if a child gets luekemia, his or her own cord blood is the best way to go about treatment. Even on that very small percentage, if you can at all afford it it's worth it. Also for genetic diseases, a sibling's cord blood can be a match and sometimes provide a cure. MAZE is the cheapest as far as I know as there are no annual fees.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics