Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Constipation
Previous  1  2

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 12:02 am
OH another thing...pumping you milk can be a very inaccurate way to measure how much milk your making unless you pump already. not everyone can pump easily and you baby takes the milk out better than any pump. Also if your baby has been gaining weight all this time than you milk supply is fine fine fine.. You can always build up you milk supply buy nursing more often...your child knows how to build up your milk supply, they have done it so many times before. There is no need to worry about your milk supply UNLESS your PREGNANT, but even then it shouldn't be much of worry either. PM if you want to know more....

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 7:17 pm
http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/ci2.asp

heres some information

Ozmom

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 7:07 am
Quote:
your milk supply is fine unless your PREGNANT..then maybe your milk supply will dip and lower..DON'T consider formula. nursing is the BEST for your baby is should be his main source of nutrition now anyway

Sorry but I don't believe that thats true for all
some people have problems with nursing and milk supply
its not easy for everyone,

When our mothers were having babies the trend was to not nurse.
They were told not to be like cows
Then people found out how wrong that was they have gone to the other extreme that people who aren't able to nurse get ostracised.
We must remember to keep a balance and understand that all people are different, and some women do not produce enough milk for their babies.
The concept does exist.
(I heard once that a system was set up in Israel for Kosher and Cholov Yisroel keeping mothers to donate milk to people who weren't producing enough milk and their kids were allergic to formula.)

One must be carefull not to make people who have a hard time nursing feel bad if they stop. Some people have gone into depression as a result because they feel like failures.
Its a very sensitive topic

Also for me my son was waking up too often at night and I wasn't coping so when I added formula he slept heavier and longer hours (didn't work for the next child though)
Anyway sorry I went off the topic ..............

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 9:12 am
Ozmom, thank you for being sensitive to other people's "issues". I was not able to nurse and went through major guilt over it. many times when people on board mention " don't give formula" nursing is best" it hits me , I do agree that nursing is best and that was what I really intend on doing, but Hashem had other plans.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 11:11 am
HELLO she has been nursing forawhile with no problems so supply should not be a problem...come on and read. Yes people do have problems with their supply even if they are not pregnant. BUT its not like after 6 months of great nursing is a woman supply going to stop, just like that. very poor information like being so so sensitive to woman who have problems nursing makes problems for people who really don't have a problem. One other thing that can effect milk supply are some medications and some birth control pills. Also Yaels problem with her milk supply was because she was prgnant. Notice the difference in her sons ages...

Rochel Leah I have a feeling you nursing wasn't going well from about the beginning not after 6 months of nursing fine. So you are not a comparable to this situation.

micki

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 12:16 pm
this thread was imanut's question. every reply (my own) was to her directly. she is nursing well milk is great so why the suggestions to her to stop? I did not like that and wanted to make it clear to her that if everything is going well- then no formula.
as to those who have had problems with milk supply or if you are preg. and notice that you kid is refusing to nurse- well guys!! its not a mitzva to starve the kids because we don't want formula!!! B"H its there!!! otherwise kids would be hungry and that is thousands worse than not nursing!!! and even if you decide not to nurse - well then B"H the optionof formula is there!!!!
we are not debating nursing vs. formula- someone can start that if they care to. we are answering imanuts question.
and by the way it IS possible to nurse with plenty of milk and be pregant at the same time. trust me I did it a few times!!! just because you are preg- does not mean you need to stop. all the details must be evaluated there is no rule on way or the other!!!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 12:43 pm
Miki it seems like your kids have a 2 year difference in age. Remember exclsusively nursing a 4 month old and the accational nursing of a 15 month old is very very different. The 15 month is not susstaining on your milk alone and the 4 month old is. The age of the baby and the how far along in the pregnancy are very important factors. Don't forget that. the nursing you did when you baby was over a year old was more for comfort and much less milk than you think. Also I have read lots and lots of information about nursing while pregnant and all the info said that the milk changes to weaning milk(different nutritional composition than before pregnacy) during pregnancy. The body naturualy encourages weaning atleast lessens the milk.

to imanut, don't think you milk supply is a problem unless your 4 months pregant, thats when the supply starts to lesson. Nurse more and give non constipating foods. Avocado is a baby favorite.

imanut

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 1:28 pm
I don't think there is anything wrong with my milk supply. naturally, I have less milk now b/c my baby is demanding less. maybe she got constipated b/c she cut back so much so quickly, I don't know. but when she nurses I'm quite sure she gets enough.

micki

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 1:49 pm
ummm... amother- my kids are not 2 yrs apart!! they are 18, 15, and 14 moths apart, where if you do the math I was exclusivly nursing infants. while pregnant. no- I was not nursing for comfort...
please don't make assumptions, I'd appreciate a pm before yuo say something that you assume.

Yael

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 3:47 pm
imanut, I'm happy to hear that you have enough milk. I hope noone understood me to mean that you for sure dont and should supplement with formula. I only meant to make sure. if your daughter pishes enough during the day then probably she doesnt need any additional juice or water, and you could just try giving prunes or some other type of laxative food. if you think she just needs more liquid then give her juice. her body is still getting used to digesting solids, but I hope this stage passes quickly.

proudmom

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 4:03 pm
Carrots are also very good.

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 4:37 pm
Its funny cuz I was told not to give carrots to early cuz they could upset the stomach..I had given before knowing this and sz threw them all up

youngmom

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 4:02 pm
I'm going through the same thing imanut went through with her baby. I don't know what to do. my baby screams every time she needs to make and her stool is coming out very hard. she has just developed a diaper rash and is even bleeding a little.
anyone else have experience with bananas causing constipation? I thought that bananas are supposed to do the opposite.

red sea

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 4:48 pm
bananas are a binding type of food, won't help and might add to constipation. I had to use prune juice regularly in small amounts for a while for one baby. Adding raw fruit/veg to the diet (food processed into mush, I use the ultimate chopper) helps too.

imanut

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 6:59 pm
I found that the problem went away on its own after my daughter got used to eating solids. in about a month I will start my son on solids and I expect I will face the same issue.

zz

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 5:06 am
[quote="Tefila"]My ped of babies 2004 told me
Quote:
I could use One - Two teaspoon (not Tablespoon) of brown sugar with 4oz-6oz of bottled water

Hurray for Tefila! Very Happy
My baby didn't go for 5 days and gulped down this magic potion. I just put her down and whopee, we all feel much better....
Go Tefila! Very Happy

ssbarnes

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 6:51 am
When my eldest was 6 weeks old (still exclusively nursing), he stopped having daily stools. I was concerned and spoke with his pediatrician, who wanted to put him on some medication. I asked if we could try some apple juice first since that seemed to me as though it would be more gentle on his little system and he said that was fine. Within a day, he was back to normal.

Apple juice still works for him when he gets constipated.

If you are concerned, call the doctor's office.

Dena

zz

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 7:44 am
I did and he told me that going for a couple of days without filling the diaper was not worrysome.
My baby is 3 months old (exclusively nursing) and he did mention a couple of tips to help my baby out.
Concerning your apple juice, my mom used to give a teaspoon of squeezed orange juice. I tried for my baby and it helped a bit. I would use it if the need would be regular as I find the brown sugar potion quite heavy on the sweet side.

ssbarnes

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 8:07 am
Usually babies that are exclusively nurse have a BM nearly every time you nurse the first month, then it tapers off to about once a day. Every other day didn't concen me. When it got to 4 days with nothing, I called the Dr. By the time I got an appointment it had been a week. He had no fever and was behaving normally, but I was going crazy. LOL

Dena
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics