Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chulent

dr.wigs

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 6:16 am
So I have the basic chulent down, and now I want to start spicing it up. does anyone have cool secret ingredients that they put in? you know they type if your family knew they wouldn't eat it?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 6:27 am
My family likes weird stuff Wink

But good secret ingredients we have tried can be: brown sugar, ketchup, coca cola, ketchup, those tiny potatoes with peel http://forum.wordreference.com.....49357 , beer, whiskey, cinnamon, chocolate...

amother

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 6:31 am
honey, mustard, tomato sauce... real good

amother

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 12:28 pm
options: soup mix (onion & beef), cumin, a touch of brown sugar, heinz 57 sauce

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 1:35 pm
Our secret in in the simplicity. Fresh chopped onions, crushed garlic, coarse salt, the right amounts of beans vs. barley and water, etc.

Maya

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 1:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Our secret in in the simplicity. Fresh chopped onions, crushed garlic, coarse salt, the right amounts of beans vs. barley and water, etc.

I agree. We used to try all sorts of exotic ingredients, but keeping it simple works best for us.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 1:44 pm
I often substitute some white wine or beer for some of the water which gives a subtle but nice flavor. That's about as unusual as I get with cholent. I really stick with the classic ingredients... definitely no sugar, ketchup, soda, or soup mixes.
The weirdest cholent I was ever served was made with hot dogs and tater tots with ketchup and mustard. Pretty gross.

Soul on fire

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 2:23 pm
ketchup is my main "spice" lol oh and sauteed onions and garlic.

Last edited by Soul on fire on Sun, Jul 31 2011, 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Avrahamamma

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 6:05 pm
Its a persian spice. Can be found in Middle Eastern store. Limon Amani - Sun Dried and Ground Lemon. OR Sumac. Both add a really nice tangy flavor. And no one can ever tell what it is...

shaini

Post Sat, Jul 30 2011, 8:53 am
I put in ready prepared mustard, bbq sauce and paprika.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Jul 30 2011, 7:41 pm
Loads of browned onions. This does make difference. I also add lots of paprika, whole cumin seeds (toaste together with onions), dates and cinnamon. Sometimes pkaila (fried spinach based condiment), and a bit of harissa. I use whole wheatberries instead of/in addition to barleys. Wheatberries stay intact and don't get mushy. Don't forget the whole eggs in shells...

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Jul 30 2011, 10:14 pm
Ketchup, salt, pepper, sugar/corn syrup and paprika.
Comes out perfect (for my tastes lol)

dr.wigs

Post Sun, Jul 31 2011, 10:06 am
Thanks everyone!!! Cant wait for next shabbos, my chulent will def. be more exciting.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen