Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Pregnant with twins and fasting on YK?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 4:55 pm
I am looking for reassurance here, please don't tell me that my rav is a crazy nut job.

I am 5 and half months pregnant with twins and my rav just told me I need to fast and can do shirayim if I start to feel faint/extremely sick. Anybody here did this before and can tell me I'll get through it?? I'm not really worried for me, more about the babies/fluid levels, etc, even though I know I'm going to feel horrible and not be able to get out of bed. Hellllp I'm so nervous!! Someone tell me you did this and everything was fine!

goforit

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 4:58 pm
can you find out about getting ivy?

momx6

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 5:07 pm
When I was pregnant with my twins (4 yrs ago!) I was due in november and my dr. did not allow me to fast at all. My rav made me ask again and again and each time the dr. said absolutely not!

So I ate and drank the shirayim. It was really fine, actually it was great! I never felt better on YK. I was at my mil's house and since it was hot outside she made me drink YK night even though I really didnt want to-I wanted to at least fast till the morning.

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 5:21 pm
I am 8 month pregnant bh with twins and was told not to fast didn't get exactly what and how much I have to eat or drink I will get my answer by tomorrow

amother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 5:25 pm
Thanks for the replies. I don't think an IV is an option, and probably if I needed one of those I wouldn't have to fast anyway...

mommyx5, you felt ok with just shiurim? WOW that must have been pretty hard and nerve wracking. I feel sick in the morning just from having not eaten from the night before, that's why I'm so worried.

I honestly didn't even ask a doc bc I'm between doctors right now, but I'm sure any doctor would tell you not to fast, twins or not, esp because of liability etc, so I don't even think that would help me.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 5:41 pm
With all due respect to this rav, I think it's completely irresponsible of him to even think of giving a psak without asking what your doctor says about you fasting. This is a medical/halachic issue. Not a halachic issue exclusively.

Is this rav a mumcha in such issues? It doesn't seem to be the case IMO. Please contact a Rav that's a mumcha in such issues and explain to him what you've been told. But do so only after discussing this with your doctor.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I don't think an IV is an option, and probably if I needed one of those I wouldn't have to fast anyway...

mommyx5, you felt ok with just shiurim? WOW that must have been pretty hard and nerve wracking. I feel sick in the morning just from having not eaten from the night before, that's why I'm so worried.

I honestly didn't even ask a doc bc I'm between doctors right now, but I'm sure any doctor would tell you not to fast, twins or not, esp because of liability etc, so I don't even think that would help me.

What's the reason that IV is not an option? And don't be sure that you wouldn't have to fast anyway. Many rabbonim have been paskening to try to get IV in your home before saying you should eat shiurim.

ntm1

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 6:56 pm
last YK I was 8.5 mnths pregnent with my twins and was told that I really have to fast unless I start feeling faint. And yes I did fast the whole fast with the exception of 2-3 little schnapp cups of powerade and spent the day in shul.

Btw- most dr.'s will tell you NOT to fast to be on the safe side- but it still is YK and I'm sure your rav knows what he is saying.

Last edited by ntm1 on Mon, Oct 03 2011, 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 6:57 pm
ntm1 wrote:
last YK I was 8.5 mnths pregnent with my twins and was told that I really have to fast unless I start feeling faint. And yes I did fast the whole fast with the exception of 2-3 little schnapp cups of powerade. and spent the day in shul.

8.5 months is very different than 5 months. I'm not saying better/worse, but you can't compare. And it's also very individual.

momx6

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 8:52 pm
to op

The shiurim were fine- I had orange juice, water, bagel hole tuna, almonds... I felt really great. And I was running after 2 kids + trying to daven. My mil was amazing, she kept on preparing little shnapps cups of food for me to eat and drink.

My twins ended up being born 5 weeks early-right after succos!

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 10:44 pm
I drank in shiurim when I was pregnant with my twins (I was about 4 months at YK). My rav had said if I felt I needed to eat, I should eat in shiurim, but I didn't need to. He davka told me to drink in shiurim all day because by waiting I might get to a situation where I had to drink more than a shiur. I drank juice all day, every 9 minutes, and everything b'h went fine.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 10:19 am
OP here. Thank you for your replies everybody, I feel a lot better! Guess I'm off to stock up on some powerade! Anyone have any other helpful suggestions I should know about? I'm trying to find babysitters for my one year old, if not part of the day then at least some of it. Any other ideas?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 10:21 am
ntm1 wrote:
last YK I was 8.5 mnths pregnent with my twins and was told that I really have to fast unless I start feeling faint. And yes I did fast the whole fast with the exception of 2-3 little schnapp cups of powerade and spent the day in shul.

Btw- most dr.'s will tell you NOT to fast to be on the safe side- but it still is YK and I'm sure your rav knows what he is saying.

Thanks. Yes I'm sure he knows too, as I'm hardly the first woman to be blessed with this situation, BH Smile

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. Thank you for your replies everybody, I feel a lot better! Guess I'm off to stock up on some powerade! Anyone have any other helpful suggestions I should know about? I'm trying to find babysitters for my one year old, if not part of the day then at least some of it. Any other ideas?

Regarding the powerade - make sure you don't overdrink. It gave me heart palpitations and I read online that it does happen sometimes.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 9:59 pm
Last YK, I was pregnant with twins (very early on- possibly 6-8 wks, although we already knew then. Bit of a complicated beginning.). My doctor did not want me fasting, period. Rav said I should not eat, but let's work on home IV, (which btw, in Brooklyn should be easily set up by BP bikur cholim. Doctor didn't have a valid reason to state why she preferred food over IV, so we went ahead with the IV.

A [gentile] came to my house YK morning with equipment and got the IV running. (later on I needed help from a local paramedic who redid things, as the line got clogged...) BH all was great.

Just letting you know, that even when not fasting is not an option according to your Rav, find out if IV is.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 10:38 pm
ntm1 wrote:

I disagree that a rav always knows what he's saying. One needs to be well versed in such matters.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 11:14 am
life'sgreat wrote:
ntm1 wrote:

I disagree that a rav always knows what he's saying. One needs to be well versed in such matters.

OP here. YES I did call a rov who knows what he is talking about. That much seichel I have, BH.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more