Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Taking mezuzahs to be checked...a question

amother

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 5:32 pm
It's been a little while since I've had this done and it feels wierd to have doors without mezusot up. I don't know how long the sofer will keep them. In the past I took them and they did them right then. But we live somewhere new since I checked last and you have to leave them.

What do you do? Maybe I should just take a few at a time?

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 5:39 pm
DH is a sofer he tells people to do them all at once if it's not a financial thing. Most sofrim give them back within 24 hours.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 5:39 pm
you can have the sofer make a house call. you can also ask for loaner mezuzos.

Rodent

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 7:15 pm
There is no problem to have them down while being checked, it may feel wrong but it isn't an issue and loaner ones are unnecessary. Most should be able to do them quickly anyway but my husband has done housecalls on occasions for people. Seriously, just take them in and don't worry about it. It's easier to keep track of when they were last checked if you do them all at once. Apart from financial issues, there is no other reason that I can think of for doing them gradually.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 1:57 pm
OP here. It is a financial issue. I took the ones from the external doors today. Two were passul. Can you say.... $$$$$$

Can't take any more for a month or two...

StrongIma

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 10:46 pm
I was told to do the external ones separately form the internal ones - also that a doorway that had the mezuzos taken off for this purpose is as if they're still there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics