Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Should I teach? what about my thirst for knowledge?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 3:50 am
I'm 3 years out of school and 2 years married.

I'm school I signed up and took the teachers methods course which in my school (ulrtra chasidish high school) was a separate program. You had to pay separately for this program and stay an hour later. Classes were after regular school hours. I took the course. Did my assignments. And passed with flying colors. Graduated with a special diploma which included my teaching methods course.
I have everything there is needed for a teacher. I really could have succeeded. I don't want it to sound like I'm just puffed up about myself so I'm posting anon....

I LOVE children and have real charm. where ever I get in touch with children of all ages I click. sometimes it takes a few seconds and sometimes hours but it can also take a few days but in the end they ALWAYS feel safe with me and I'd even have some teenage relatives just tell me stuff and they don't even know y they told it to ME... Get the picture.
I have an unusual understanding of ppl and natures and tend to really 'get' what makes other tick and how to interest them.
I always got and I'm still getting the 'born a ready teacher a preacher' comments.
I explain things and you can't not understand it. (except for expressing myself which is bad. it is even hard when I try to express myself to DH so I'm really working on it.) although I just UNDERSTAND and FEEL other ppls feelings, I can't EXPRESS them...
Now this is just for the personality part.

I read TONS and have LOTS of different interesting knowledge that I would LOVE to share. and on and on. My mother was always trying to convince me to apply for a teaching job. but I can't see myself in front of a class room.
But for one main reason I could't see myself being a teacher. I mean, I NEVER studied for tests. Always looked through the material once in the morning or at lunch break and it was enough. Still CAN'T see myself preparing a lesson. I loved math and science. Barely had an inkling of what happened in grammar class. And knew all of history by heart except for exact names and dates (I mean the main part is what happened. don'chya think?). I really liked writing but by the time I really got into the swing of it the class was over... But I NEVER would study for tests. It was just a waste of time. Why? You could read, play computer games, or do other fun stuff with friends instead!
In class I was ALWAYS bored. Especially in history and grammar class. Hashem provided the refuah before the maka, both- history and grammar books where huge. Perfect for hiding a book in it and reading while the teacher is explaining the grammar AGAIN. Or discussing how the tea party came about YET AGAIN.... You get the picture.

B"H, right after school. like a week after school I landed a very exciting and challenging desk job. Not bookkeeping. Boring! But something really exciting. Really need to know excel and computers which I'm really good at and really enjoy it.
But lately I feel like I'm rusting. Like I have sooo much to give and no one to give it over tooo. And the worst part of all I'm dying for knowledge and feel like I'm loosing my spunk....

I would soooo badly want to teach now but where should I start. And if I don't like it? Once you take on a teaching job you can't just give 2 weeks notice and quit. You gotta give it your all for the rest of the year. Donno y I could commit myself to marriage but to this one year thing I can't.

My father is a very talented person and has toooons of knowledge about every thing. In whichever subject you will start a conversation with him he will ALWAYS have something to add. be it in torah - EVERYWHERE. And be it in other things like human nature, especially in chinuch, geography, math, science and in history. Jewish history, and may more....

This shabbos (ate at my moms place) I thought, being that he is retired, I might ask him for a few hours a week that we can sit and discuss all of the topics that are of interest to both. He won't say no but I know he will be reluctant about it as he likes to spend his hours quietly alone or with his children in his sfarim room learning...

So what do you ladies / teachers say, should I still give it a shot at teaching. (they really don't pay well in our circles...) or just quit it?
What about my thirst for knowledge??
Thinking about it I feel like crying. Like my mind is in a cage and can't go out or expand (donno if you get it. Remmeber I'm not really good at expressing myself)

So type away. shoot. lemme hear!
Thanks in advance!

5*Mom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 5:21 am
amother wrote:
But for one main reason I could't see myself being a teacher. I mean, I NEVER studied for tests. Always looked through the material once in the morning or at lunch break and it was enough. ... But I NEVER would study for tests. It was just a waste of time. Why? You could read, play computer games, or do other fun stuff with friends instead! In class I was ALWAYS bored.

I don't have an answer for you but I can tell you that the above should not be a reason NOT to teach; on the contrary. It's easy to understand and appreciate the students who are self-motivated in the classroom but you will have an understanding of the students who need something different to spark their interest. My sister was like this as a student and she has been an amazing teacher for over 20 years and she is now a teaching mentor. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics