Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Carriers, how to choose? Ergo/Beco/Boba/Babyhawk...

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 5:15 pm
I enjoyed carrying DD in a moby wrap and ring sling when she was little. I got tired of it when she started getting a little bigger and heavier, but wonder it might have gone better if I'd had a SSC. I loved the feel of the moby wrap but it was too much of a bother for me to do all the time, whereas the ring sling was less comfortable for me. DD in general seemed to feel a little confined in the wrap but liked it better than the snap-n-go stroller. Now (14 months old) she definitely prefers riding in the full-size stroller or shopping cart seat, though I haven't even tried the wrapping in about half a year.

I'm thinking an easy, comfortable carrier might make life easier when #2 comes but no idea which kind to get. There are several kinds people seem to love and I don't know how to choose! I'm sure actually trying them out would be best but I want to start looking for a deal before the baby comes because deals are rare on these things. They're so expensive! How helpful would it be to try on carriers without a baby? DD is too heavy for me already. And I imagine it will become difficult to try things on for size as my pregnancy grows IYH.

Any tips?

newlywed10

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 5:37 pm
I think that the best thing to do is to go to a store and try them on. I did tons of research on which carrier I wanted, but when I actually went to the store and tried it on, I found another one to be much more comfortable. there is a store in nyc where you can try carriers on and they give you a weighted baby doll to make it more realistic as to how it will actually feel with your baby inside

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 5:41 pm
Which store is that?

newlywed10

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 5:47 pm
its called metrominis, on the upper east side.

Inspired

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 6:02 pm
I second metro minis!
Personally I thought I wanted a ssc until itried the ergo, beco and BH. The BH won hands down!

newlywed10

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 6:09 pm
and just to put my two cents in, I ended up buying the beco gemini and I am in love with it. so easy to use and so comfortable!

SacN

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 6:47 pm
I also have a beco gemini and I love it. Assuming it's sized right (pulled tight enough, but not too tight) I find that the hip support really works.
I also really liked being able to use it with my newborn right away with no insert, unlike the ergo.
Plus, the patters are an added bonus. Smile They're cute.

Nicole

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 7:18 pm
We have the babyhawk mei tai and are/were very happy. Baby is 10 mos old and I still put her in sometimes. And we've been using it since she's a few days old!

SplitPea

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 8:54 pm
no need to travel to the city there is an amazing story in brooklyn called caribu baby http://www.cariboubaby.com/

justmarried

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 5:58 pm
If you are in Boro Park check out Dainty Baby - it's a new baby store on 12th Avenue and 36th Street. I bought my carrier there. (A Beco - love it!)

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 7:53 pm
Yipee! I love that they're selling these carriers in the heart of BP! I'm actually not in BP but last time I was there it didn't seem like babywearing had caught on at all... heh. Given the demographic there it's kind of a shame. So do they let you try them on there? Do they have a weighted doll to use?

I guess I'll have to get myself into one of these stores eventually. Hopefully the morning sickness will fade before the bump emerges. I just feel bad doing that because I am not ready to pay full store price for a new carrier, I'd choose and then stalk ebay and craigslist for one. I guess I'll call ahead to the store and ask if that's OK with them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics