Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Allergic reaction 2 days later?

cranberry

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 8:53 pm
Ds2 has many food allergies/sensitivities/whatever. I figured most of them out while he was still nursing, and others as he started to eat solid foods. He's outgrown a lot of these allergies, and it's a lot more manageable now.

When he was younger, there was a lot of throwing up and diaper rashes. Now it's mainly diaper rashes. I can usually tell if he eats a problem food because either the next dirty diaper or the one after will give him an immediate diaper rash, which clears up quickly with no creams needed.

But here's my problem. The other day I decided to have him try eating dairy to see if it would be okay now. (Well, really, I made baked ziti for dinner and forgot to leave some without cheese for him, and he very much wants to eat what everyone else is eating, and since we hadn't tried any problem foods in a while ....) I was happily surprised when we went 2 whole days without any diaper rash. Until Friday night.

As I was about to light, I realized he had a dirty diaper and changed it. There was a bit of a diaper rash, not too bad. Right next to the edge of the diaper, though, he had what looked to me and dh to be a big, long hive. I decided to watch it (and him), and give him Benadryl if it looked like he needed it.

By the next time I looked, it wasn't raised anymore, but that whole area where the hive had been was red and there were like some black areas inside. It changed a bit more as time went on, and now it's kind of scabbed over in that area.

I'm trying to figure out if this could be a dairy reaction. I can't think of any foods he ate that he doesn't eat regularly, I didn't change laundry detergents, and he was wearing pants so it shouldn't be that something scratched him. But he's never had a reaction to food 2 days later. They were always pretty soon after eating it.

Does anyone know if foods can cause reactions 2 days after the food was eaten? I'd love to be able to say he can eat dairy again, but I don't want to put him through this misery again if it's most likely a dairy reaction.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 9:37 pm
I would check it out
Hives are not like what you described afaik

cranberry

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 9:41 am
It turns out I have to bring him in to the doctor for something else today, so I'll ask him while I'm there. I'll see what he says.

21young

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 11:00 am
Ask the Dr., but yes, although it's rate, reactions can happen later.
I am allergic to certain foods that I know to stay away from. I was once at a restaurant and I ordered a pasta. They must have used an herb I was allergic to, but it was only when I came home an hour or two later that the reaction came; I almost passed out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics