Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Was it appropriate of me to say hello?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 4:07 pm
this afternoon I was in a grocery store and there was only one other person in there, an elderly lady at the opposite end of the store. it is quite a small shop, so when I got to the section she was in I thought she looked familiar to me somehow. then I recognised that she is the grandma of my friend who I've been friends with since we were both little. since her grandma has been on tv, and as I used to go to her house sometimes with my friend for lunch when we were much younger, though obviously she looked much older, I remebered her face.
my friend told me recently her husband (grandpa) passed away which is very sad.
so I said hello to her and told her who I was. she seemed happy to see me. do you think I shouldn't have said anything though?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 4:19 pm
it was entirely appropriate, in fact it was very nice of you to remember her and to say hello. I think that was very sweet. it's always nice to see a friendly face, and she was probably quite touched you remembered her and I'm sure she WAS happy to see you.

I personally love it when someone comes up to me and recognises me (though I'm too shy to do this myself depending on the person!) how come she was on tv?

Arcy

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 4:37 pm
mekabel as KOL HAADAM bisefeir panim yafos... greet every man(kind) with a plesant face... (avos)
very appropriate,
gr8 job in remembering and DOING a basic concept of judiasm... :-)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 4:40 pm
I think it's lovely. no one wants to be ignored.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 4:51 pm
well done you!

Liba

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 5:01 pm
Smile I am glad you said hello to her and can't understand why it wouldn't have been appropriate to do so.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 5:12 pm
Yes you did the right thing. Though she is elderly, she may have noticed you, but could not quite place you, so she herself may have been thinking the same thing. It is always a good idea to say Hello, and like you did, remind her from when/where - as she may be conscious of other people who recognize her from seeing her on television.

It is also ok to say to a complete stranger in the same scenario. You may say "hello, I could not help noticing your beautiful scarf, coat, hat etc..... You will probably brighten the persons day!

I have occassionally rec'd compliments or a quick hello from complete strangers who continue on their way, and it has always made me smile. a smile, Hi!, or compliment to a complete stranger makes the world a nicer place!

marshmellow

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 5:25 pm
I think it was great what you did. she might have been having a rather lonely purim, and I think you made her feel more special and loved.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 5:32 pm
Liba wrote:
Smile I am glad you said hello to her and can't understand why it wouldn't have been appropriate to do so.

Yes, why in the world would it be inappropriate? Best to say how you know her, but nice to say hello in any case!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 5:38 pm
??

why wouldn't it be appropriate to say hello?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 5:46 pm
amother wrote:
??

why wouldn't it be appropriate to say hello?

it sounds like the op was not completely sure whether the lady would recognise her even after she said who she was, after all I am not too sure if my grandma would have recognised one of my friends past a certain age.. and maybe she didn't want to run the risk of confusing her as being a random person saying hello..but as it happens she is thank G-d mentally sharp, and you did the right thing, well done.

boysrus

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 12:20 am
I do think it was appropriate.

personally I always go out of my way to greet people, introduce myself to people, I guess I am a
'people person'. I almost always find that peoople are apprecaitive and happy to be noticed and pleased that I have bothered to say hello.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette