Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is this appropriate?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:13 pm
Is it appropriate to sign off on a text to a father, love you. For context, like if you text to wish good shabbos or such kind of thing. I have always done it, have great relationship with my father bh. Recently someone made me think that it may not be appropriate for a married daughter.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:15 pm
totally fine

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:17 pm
This is so strange. He’s your father. If you have a good relationship with him you should definitely keep signing off texts with “love you”

effess

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:18 pm
Totally fine!
He’s your father!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:19 pm
Thanks. I was literally starting to overthink my whole life Can't Believe It

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:19 pm
I’m so sad for the person who made you think it’s inappropriate, that they think they can’t tell their father they love them.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it appropriate to sign off on a text to a father, love you. For context, like if you text to wish good shabbos or such kind of thing. I have always done it, have great relationship with my father bh. Recently someone made me think that it may not be appropriate for a married daughter.

Of course it’s appropriate! It’s wonderful that you have a loving relationship with a your father. It’s bizarre for anyone to think that once you get married, you should treat or speak to your father in a less loving way.

I hope it wasn’t your dh who made you feel that way…

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:20 pm
How can anyone who has no insight to your relationship with your dad have an opinion?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:21 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Of course it’s appropriate! It’s wonderful that you have a loving relationship with a your father. It’s bizarre for anyone to think that once you get married, you should treat or speak to your father in a less loving way.

I hope it wasn’t your dh who made you feel that way…

No, bh he has a great loving relationship with him too.

ProudJew

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:27 pm
Actually made me smile. I love that you tell your father you love him. I’m sure he loves hearing it too. Keep it up

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:35 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
How can anyone who has no insight to your relationship with your dad have an opinion?

Well in the absence of any other information, I say it's completely normal for a daughter to tell her dad she loves him.

This additional information would have to be pretty extreme for me to change my opinion on this topic.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:55 pm
Who decided that love is reserved for a husband Scratching Head

amother
Maple

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 12:06 am
Nothing wrong but maybe certain ultra right wing circles wouldn't be as demonstrative married daughter to father, not that it's right.

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 12:07 am
Of course its appropriate. I think its also perfectly normal and healthy to hug or kiss (cheek of course) your father. My father always gives me a hug and kiss when I see him.

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 12:51 am
What has the world come to if people think it's inappropriate for a daughter to tell her own father she loves him? What does her being married have to do with anything? He doesn't stop being her dad when she gets married, and love for a dad is totally different from love for a husband.

I feel sorry for the person who told you it's inappropriate. Somebody messed him or her up but good.

essie14

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 2:39 am
Scratching Head
Of course a daughter can tell her father she loves him!
Love isn't finite. You don't love your husband less because you also love your father. They're are two completely, separate, and different relationships.

You don't take away your love for your parents just because you have children.

That's a bizarre comment for someone to make, IMO.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 9:06 am
amother OP wrote:

Inappropriate for anyone to tell you that as a married woman, you stop loving your father and if your husband is OK with it, then its none of her business.
I hope you get to keep saying it ad meah vesrim.

amother
Chestnut

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 10:10 am
amother Ecru wrote:
Who decided that love is reserved for a husband Scratching Head

Maybe you're not allowed to tell your husband you love him either... LOL

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 10:44 am
Not only do I tell my father and mother "Love you" when I end a conversation, I also tell that to my siblings and best friend.

I really don't see what the issue is.

Hey123

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 10:49 am
Totally ok!!!
I tell my parents, grandparents and children I love them!!! It's so normal!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette