Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it appropriate?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 2:14 pm
Went to a salon where I had an appointment, there was a sign that they are closed. A couple of days later got a text that they will be closed for the next two weeks. Obviously some kind of family emergency.

I know the owner for several years. Do you think it's appropriate to text her "I hope everyone is/ will be okay"?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 2:29 pm
I wouldn't.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 2:48 pm
I do.
I would probably phase it as “wishing you well”

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 2:52 pm
I would think it's fine as long as it is clear from your message that you are not expecting a response/explanation but rather just wanting then to know that you are thinking of them

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 3:04 pm
When in doubt, keep your mouth shut.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 5:00 pm
To me the answer is yes of course. She shuts down for a few weeks out of nowhere and you know her. Check in - is she okay? Is her family okay? No need to pry but to me it's a no brainer to show care.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 5:01 pm
I don't agree. I would totally msg and say just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you.

Busybee5

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 5:13 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
I don't agree. I would totally msg and say just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you.

Thinking of her about what? Whatever it is, she might not want her clients to know, and this sounds like op knows something here that she doesn't!
I find it odd that she'd just close like that after giving you an appointment but maybe she decided to go away for chanuka or something simple like that. No need to always assume the worst.

singleagain

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 5:26 pm
I would think it's ok. But if you're feeling self conscious. You can always wait till after and when you next go in you can give good wishes and maybe an extra tip

kenz

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 5:40 pm
If you had an appointment and she literally closed up shop from one day to the next, I think it’s weird if you don’t say anything. Obviously you’re aware that something is up. A simple “Hi, just wanted to tell you I’m thinking of you. Hope everything is ok,” is definitely appropriate and warranted. She’s under no obligation to respond.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 5:43 pm
kenz wrote:
If you had an appointment and she literally closed up shop from one day to the next, I think it’s weird if you don’t say anything. Obviously you’re aware that something is up. A simple “Hi, just wanted to tell you I’m thinking of you. Hope everything is ok,” is definitely appropriate and warranted. She’s under no obligation to respond.

I agree. Having been in difficult situations myself, it meant so much when I knew someone was concerned and cared. I did not respond beyond a heart most of the time but I really appreciated it. And I'm a very private introvert. I used to think, "when in doubt don't say anything." Now I'm firmly in the other camp- "when in doubt, let them know you're thinking of them."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette