Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to teach 10 yr. old about kedushah

Undefined

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 10:33 am
After spending part of Pesach with relatives with a bit of a different lifestyle than us, my 10 yr. old daughter has been asking why it's not good to watch certain tv shows or movies, or listen to certain music, she also wants to know why she can't wear a slit "up to her butt". Internally I know why we don't do these things, we want to live a life of Kedushah, separate from the rest of the secular world. But I can't seem to formulate the right words to explain this in a way that will make sense to her, and I want her to see it in a good light and want this lifestyle for herself, not just because she's being told "no". Any insights? Thanks

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 10:30 pm
I have a similar situation. I told my child that we must be be careful how we treat our neshama and we don't realize how things we see etc affect our neshama, but I don't know if it was the best conversation either, wish others reply.

Ruthy44

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 12:26 am
Undefined wrote:
why it's not good to watch certain tv shows or movies, or listen to certain music, she also wants to know why she can't wear a slit "up to her butt".

What came to mind is:
Certain TV shows degrade women and objectify us as opposed to bringing out the individual beauty we all posses.
Secular media often glorifies ideals (violence, immodesty, materialism, etc.) that detract from a meaningful wholesome and happy life.

Hope this is helpful.

Undefined

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 2:00 pm
yes, that is helpful. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics