Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Expired license

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 1:34 pm
DH renewed his license online a few days ago. His license expires on Sunday, and it takes up to 2 weeks for the new one to arrive. If it ends up taking the full 2 weeks, he will be up to 3 days without one. He needs his car for work b/c he gets sent out to clients, so getting a ride to and from work for a few days won't help. I suppose he could ask his boss just to let him work only in the office this week, but it won't look good on him that he didn't think to renew with enough time for the new one to arrive in the mail. He could just hope not to get pulled over- it's never happened before, but I worry about Murphy's law. If he keeps the receipt with him (proving that he renewed and is just waiting for the new one), would that count for anything if he were to get pulled over?

Oh, and please no lectures on how he should have thought to renew a week earlier than he did; he didn't, and this is where things stand now, no point in talking about what he should have done. He'll be sure to remember next time.

Fabulous

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 1:36 pm
If you live in NYC, call 311. Common sense would say that the receipt and the old license should be enough, but you never know.

kb

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 1:38 pm
I'd agree that the receipt and old one should be enough. (You could always just stop a police car and ask them!)

If you are in NY, the expiration date is always your birthday, which should help you remember in the future!

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 1:43 pm
Thanks, feeling better already. kb- it wasn't the date that tripped him up, it was the year. Didn't realize till late last week that it was expiring this year.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 1:45 pm
When I had a lag between doing the renewal and receiving the sticker to go on my license, I left the receipt in the car.

chanahlady

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 5:07 pm
The receipt should be fine. Also, if he does get pulled over, the cops should have his updated license info in the system.

Barbara

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 6:02 pm
I doubt the receipt is sufficient. With respect to lost licenses in NY:

Quote:
Since, having lost your license, you may be ticketed for driving without a license in your possession, and since the only way to get a temporary license while you wait for your new card to arrive in the mail is to apply at a local DMV office, consider bypassing the online and mail options and applying for a duplicate license in person.

Although, of course, a police officer may take pity if he has the receipt.

Happy 2B

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 10:49 pm
usually if you give them your license they look it up on the computer. If someone has a valid license it doesn't mean their license is valid. That being said if he gives them the license and tells them he's waiting for the new one they should be able to look it up and see that he has a valid license. If he did get a ticket worst case he'd have to go to court and show that he had a valid license on that day which you are saying he does he just won't have it on his person.

So it shouldn't be a problem. That's what I'm thinking. As long as the renewal is immediate and not that it gets issued 2 weeks later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics