Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why was Lot successful when Avraham wasn't?

hadasa

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 1:56 am
Why was Lot able to get Hashem to spare Tzoar by citing, according to Rashi, that it had relatively few sins? Avraham begged Hashem to save at least one city by searching for ten Tzaddikim and Hashem turned him down, but Lot asks the Malach to spare a city and his request is automatically granted?

Has anyone here come across a Mefaresh that explains this?

smilethere

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 2:10 am
I think this was Lot's reward for the one time that he had done goodness.

Can ask my husband if you wish because I think I remember a discussion on this. Maybe you'll get other answers first (I'm at work now)

DrMom

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 2:14 am
Maybe HaShem didn't think lot was worth arguing with.

sequoia

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 2:19 am
DrMom wrote:
Maybe HaShem didn't think lot was worth arguing with.

Interesting.

tsiggelle

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 2:46 am
maybe because avraham wouldnt lose his trust and love for Hashem whatever the answer?

hadasa

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 6:51 am
So far, this is what I found through Google : On aish.com, from Rabbi Noach Weinberg.
Quote:
In prayer, you get what you ask for. Abraham only asked for Sodom to be saved if there were ten righteous people,
and there weren't. Lot asked for saving Tzoar because they were slightly less developed in sinning than the rest, and it was a legitimate difference, so Tzoar was saved.
But Rav Noach continued to question: Wasn't Abraham's intention to save the people of Sodom? If one year less of sins was enough to save a town, why didn't Abraham ask for it?
His answer: For prayer to work, the one praying has to be real about what he is asking for. For
Abraham, it was a reality that, if there were ten righteous people in Sodom, that there was hope for the city—ten righteous people could bring back the rest. But he couldn't see how one year less of sins could make a difference.
Lot, who was living in Sodom, and needed the city of Tzoar for himself, was able to see that the subtle difference of one year less of sins made the people of Tzoar more capable of change. He could ask it, and mean it, while Abraham couldn't.
Rav Noach used this idea to explain why, when we daven for the meshiach every day in the Amidah, we have a chance to be answered when so many greater people have davened in the past for it and not been answered. Sunk in the weakness and sins of our generation, we can appreciate the subtle differences that give some hope for change—and we need it more.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 8:11 am
hadasa wrote:
So far, this is what I found through Google : On aish.com, from Rabbi Noach Weinberg.
Quote:
In prayer, you get what you ask for. Abraham only asked for Sodom to be saved if there were ten righteous people,
and there weren't. Lot asked for saving Tzoar because they were slightly less developed in sinning than the rest, and it was a legitimate difference, so Tzoar was saved.
But Rav Noach continued to question: Wasn't Abraham's intention to save the people of Sodom? If one year less of sins was enough to save a town, why didn't Abraham ask for it?
His answer: For prayer to work, the one praying has to be real about what he is asking for. For
Abraham, it was a reality that, if there were ten righteous people in Sodom, that there was hope for the city—ten righteous people could bring back the rest. But he couldn't see how one year less of sins could make a difference.
Lot, who was living in Sodom, and needed the city of Tzoar for himself, was able to see that the subtle difference of one year less of sins made the people of Tzoar more capable of change. He could ask it, and mean it, while Abraham couldn't.
Rav Noach used this idea to explain why, when we daven for the meshiach every day in the Amidah, we have a chance to be answered when so many greater people have davened in the past for it and not been answered. Sunk in the weakness and sins of our generation, we can appreciate the subtle differences that give some hope for change—and we need it more.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

On a related note, the Gemara says somewhere that it's better to live in a newer city than an older one, as there is less accumulation of sin in a new place.

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 9:21 am
Is it the same for an apartment?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics