Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
When do the cravings STOP?!

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:23 pm
I started a diet over a week ago and my cravings for the bad foods are still as strong as ever. Thankfully I've been strong and have not gave in to the temptation, but I don't know how much longer I can last without ruining everything. Please, please, please tell when do the cravings finally go away or at the very least lessen just a drop?

Ritty

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:59 pm
From my experience, never. The key is to have just a teensy little bit and eat it like you eat a meal. For example if you crave chocolate, take a half a square of chocolate or 6 chocolate chips, sit down at the table or on the couch and savor each lick or bite. I promise you wont gain weight from that!

My hub always makes fun of the faces I make when I finally have that square of chocolate-- I am like in total heaven with the taste..I close my eyes pretending im eating a whole bathtub of chocolate!

Or if you wont get satisfied by that tiny piece, I know someone that she takes a piece into her mouth, chews and then spits out into the garbage...and then repeats...(yuck, I know), wiping off a slice of cake in the interim... but this way, she acquires the taste (and some of it DOES get swallowed) and 'mentally' she DID have that piece of cake!

SS6099

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 6:26 am
Most people can not handle the slivers in the beginning of the diet in order to have long term success (and PLEASE don't spit out the food, although logically I get why!)
It seems as if the diet is still a strong struggle and you're not fully committed. Most people have an easier time in the beginning when willpower is going strong!
What kind of plan are you following?
Sometimes eating too little can cause constant hunger, thus constant cravings.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 8:35 am
IME it takes about 3 weeks. After 3 weeks of no white sugar, your taste buds start to really appreciate the natural sugar in fruits and vegetables.

dimples

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 8:52 am
what works for me is to try to convert the taste of the stuff that I'm craving into a dietic version. (I don't know which plan you are on, so I hope this helps you) example: I loooove cinnamon. so I'll sprinle some cinnamon into my coffee or oatmeal. not the same as a sticky cinnamon danish, but often does the trick! or I'll have a sugar free hot cocoa or one of those tofutti pops when I want chocolate...

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 2:30 pm
Thanks for all the replies so far! I'm not on any specific diet. I just cut out most of my post dinner snacking and some of the needless day time snacking. I'm still eating a good amount of calories just nothing compared to what I was previously putting into my mouth. I'm just trying to stay away from the unhealthy foods like cake, cookies, chocolate bars, candy, chips, and danishes. I don't drink soda of any kind. Not even diet. I'm trying to stay away from aspartame. Splenda in small amounts is ok.

I am literally fantasizing over donuts and cookies. I can't get them out of my mind. I wont even be hungry, but I'll think about those foods to the point where I almost want to jump in the car and buy it!

I have a crazy love for food. I know it isn't healthy of me to be like this, but I love love love food.

How do I stop obsessing over these foods already? I feel ridiculous and embarrassed to feel like this.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 2:53 pm
OP, are you exercising?

Psychologically, on the days that I've briskly walked 4 miles in the morning, I am much less tempted by cake and cookies, since I know that by eating a cookie I'll negate most of the benefits of my hour-long walk. This works best when I exercise in the morning, because then the feeling lasts all day.

And keep challenging yourself to walk faster or do harder exercise DVD's. The charlie horse feeling in your joints will remind your body that you don't want those cookies!

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 3:10 pm
I exercise regularly, but on the days I do exercise, I'm even hungrier. I feel amazing after a good workout, but that feeling quickly dissipates and my cravings come back full speed. Sad

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 3:36 pm
amother wrote:
I exercise regularly, but on the days I do exercise, I'm even hungrier. I feel amazing after a good workout, but that feeling quickly dissipates and my cravings come back full speed. Sad

Sad

imasinger

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 6:13 pm
For me, cutting out white sugar and any form of potato has gone a long way towards reducing cravings. I still have them, but it's a lot more manageable.

My problem is even if I take a small amount of something sugary on Shabbos, I have to work for days to stop the cravings again. Sigh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise