Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Frustrated with my bosch

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 7:23 pm
I used to almost never make challah cuz it was too hard with the kitchenaid or by hand. My husband likes homeade so he wanted to by me a machine. I did a bit of research on imamother and read lots of good things about the bosch. I was told thing like "its so easy, you'll never buy challah again!" "the machine is amazing, and get rid of the kitchenaid, this machine makes cookies too!"

Im wondering if I got a different machine than the rest of the world. I cant just throw in the ingredients and let the machine do the work. It is less messy then doing it by hand but takes the same amount of time!
I made challah today and since the machine was out anyway I decided to use it to mix cookie dough for the first time. The dough hooks kept banging against the wall so much I thought the whole machine was gonna break so I had to mix in the chocolate chips by hand!

I think this thing is the biggest waste of money but other people swear by it. To all you bosch lovers out here, whats your secret?

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 7:42 pm
some cookie dough can be made in the white- plastic bowl w/ the dough attachment, others are too thick and need the silvery metal bowl. the challah dough also needs the metal bowl.
the machine will shake a bit- that happens w/ bosch machines. unless you got a defective one.did you buy it online or at a store?

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 7:46 pm
My problem with the bosch is that when I use the white bowl, I find the ingredients climb up the center piece and don't mix properly into the batter- is there a/thing to do about that (except to keep scraping it down)?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 8:42 pm
(OP)
I only have the plastic bowl. The machine was expensive enough, I dont dont to invest any more in this machine unless there is a guarantee or my $ back.

I dont mind that the machine shakes but I also dont like the dough climbing up the middle of the bowl.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:02 pm
I love my Bosch! But, in order to make cookie doughs and challah you must invest inthe metal bowl. It does shake when it mixes but, who cares?
It should not bang into the side of your bowl, are you sure you installed it correctly?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:29 pm
You're not going to enjoy your bosch for challah making if you don't have the metal bowl and the dough hook that is used with it.

You're not going to enjoy your bosch for cake and cookie batter if you don't use the beater that are used with the plastic bowl.

It's a shame because in Brooklyn they include the metal bowl in the price of the entire machine.

mom2dkay

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:30 pm
Of course! You can't make dough with white bowl. You need the metal bowl for heavy dough. That's probably why it's shaking, too. I love the Bosch mixer. I alternate dry and wet ing and only a few cups of flour at a time, and then just close the cover and let it mix 10-12 minutes. (for the challah dough)

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's a shame because in Brooklyn they include the metal bowl in the price of the entire machine.
(OP)

in some stores they include the metal bowl and charge almost $500, right? I paid under $400

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:39 pm
Does anyone know how much the metal bowl costs? online or in Brooklyn

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
(OP)

in some stores they include the metal bowl and charge almost $500, right? I paid under $400
I believe the price is $450 here.

If it costs you the same overall, I'd say get the metal bowl. Your machine might break on you without it for challah making.

cm

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:53 pm
I have the original (not "Plus") mixer.

Mine came with the white bowl, and I have no problem making whole wheat challah. It isn't quite big enough for a full five-pound batch, but that's not a problem for me.

If the machine is "walking" while mixing, place it on a non-skid mat such as waffle-type shelf liner that you get by the roll.

It helps to use the correct tool for the job. Dough: dough hook. Thin cake batter: beaters. Heavy cookie dough: cookie paddles.

Sometimes ingredients want to climb up the center post. It's hard to predict when this will happen, but when it does, I just stop the mixer and scrape everything down before it gets into the top of the post.

Pleasant Hill Grain (.com) gives excellent customer service - highly recommended!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:55 pm
your machine will break if you don't use the metal bowl for challah dough! I don't use the white bowl at all - it just sits in my cabinet.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 10:03 pm
The cookie paddles and the bowl scraper are the 2 recent additions to the Bosch I wish they wd include it with the Bosch purchase. I mean the machine is expensive enough that I shdn't have to buy a scraper attachment to keep the dough away from the sides and center..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen