Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Waterbury- Blue Ridge

mommyof2bah

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 11:22 am
I read the threads on this topic, but can anyone tell me what the living situation is like now. Aprox how many families are there? are they all yeshivish/kollel- yeshivish/balabatish mixed etc? Is there currently a high school? how are the younger grades and schools? aprox how much is tuition there for pre1A.

Any info would be really appreciated!! THANKS

amother

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 1:27 pm
I am interested too and have a few more questions.

Is there talk of a high school (boys? girls?) What do parents currently do?

What is the walkability like in the blue ridge complex? Can you walk to library, stores, playgrounds, etc?

What kind of commute do working husbands/wives have? Are there any specific resources for Jewish job searching?

sbs

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 1:40 pm
Waterbury yeshiva has a high school, although many ppl. who live in town send their high school boys out of town

there was talk of opening a girls high school for a couple years already, so far it hasn't materialized, although now people are saying for next school year, but who knows?

as far as blue ridge walking distance, it's far walking distance (45 min.) to the other side of the Jewish community by the yeshiva, stores like Shop Rite, etc.. are somewhat in the middle, but you generally would need a car to get around, it's very hilly, and shlepping groceries would not be easy...

the commute depends on where work is, ppl. commute to new york which is 2 hrs. each way

amother

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 1:52 pm
Wow I didn't know most people commute to NYC. My husband works in midtown, but I can't imagine him driving two hours each way. I thought people worked in Hartford or Danbury or (I know little about CT)?

People drive to the city or take trains or car pool?

The houses in Blueridge look so pretty and spacious compared to the tiring house hunting I've been doing in Brooklyn. My husband and I are out of town and like what we've heard about the community so much. What has been holding us back though is the commute and not having good resources to job search up there and I really would rather not send kids away for high school, plus I like our Brooklyn schools, but my eldest is only in Kindergarten and based on the ages of most families it seems like high schools will be more feasible by the time my kids IY'H are ready. Also I grew up in a very walkable city and do love that about Brooklyn.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 7:34 pm
I don't live there but have been there.

People there use their car to get anywhere out of blue ridge. And that's pretty much everywhere. There is no stores in blueridge. So yeah you really need your car. You walk around in blueridge to get to other people's homes and to the shul.

I wouldn't call the community yeshivish thought there are some like that. More balabatish type. Not sure how many are in kollel but I don't think too much. I think there are about 25ish families there (not 100% sure). the people there seemed really nice.

I'm sure if you want to check it out, there are many families more than willing to host you. You wouldn't be the first family to do that. Contact them on their website.

Girls in waterbury leave for high school.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 7:54 pm
I live in Blue Ridge. My husband works in midtown. His commute is two hours each way, however, he does not drive the whole way. He drives 30 minutes to Bridgeport and then takes a train to Grand Central. He does not mind the commute. Honestly, he gets home only 20 minutes later than he did when we lived in Monsey.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating