Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Yarmulka storage

yiddishemamme

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 11:43 pm
Does anyone have any experience organizing yarmulkas neatly in a bin? I would like to use a creative method of storing them such as in a plastic bin that I can perhaps personalize... Any experience using a plastic bin? If yes, which type of bin? What size? Thanks:)

shiffycc

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 1:55 am
I actually bought 4 square plastic baskets at dollar tree and then put them in one sons drawer. They fit two, and then another two and I put his socks in one, underwear in one, undershirts in one and yarmulkes in one.
in the drawer below it I bought these deep storge baskets from target (in home organizing section) nd I put socks in one etc....this works well as I always know where to find them and when I find them ll over thre place I know exactly where to put them...

Rodent

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 1:57 am
Probably not much help, ours are all stored in a woven basket on a counter.

freidasima

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 3:21 am
people "store" them? Our boys would have the one on their heads and one more in a drawer somewhere. And as for DH, he has two for weekdays and two for shabbes and they are in his top drawer when not being used. I have two in the drawer in the entrance table for guests. How many do people have that they need such big storage?

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 12:48 pm
I find the best way to store kippot is nested one inside the other in a little pile, convex or concave is your choice, in a drawer. As FS says, how many kippot do people have that they need "organizing"? Two dozen still fit in a pile only a few inches high and they can go in any drawer you choose: sox, undies, ties, shirts, nightstand...

If you're talking an older boy with delusions of fashion, the type who wants to match his kippah to his T-shirt or his tie, and he has dozens, then any rectangular box like a shoebox, cardboard or clear plastic, will do. Fold each kippah in half, line them up by color category, and "file" them like index cards, fold facing up, in the box. I recommend this ONLY for a person who is very neat and organized and wants to be even more so; anyone else will at best throw the kippot into the box any which way. And it seems to me that if a bocher is already so neat and orderly that he's looking for a way to organize his kippot, he'll figure out a system all on his own.

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 1:10 pm
freidasima wrote:
people "store" them? Our boys would have the one on their heads and one more in a drawer somewhere. And as for DH, he has two for weekdays and two for shabbes and they are in his top drawer when not being used. I have two in the drawer in the entrance table for guests. How many do people have that they need such big storage?

You really don't want me to answer that, now, do you?

DS has the one that he shoved in his pocket. The one he threw on the coffee table while he was watching TV. The one he keeps in his backpack just in case. Oh, yeah, and the one on his head. Not to mention the umpteen ones from weddings and bar mitzvahs, or that someone left at our house (not to be confused with the ones he left at their houses), or that were considered stylin' at some point, but no more. And I am reluctant to mention the ones he took from the lost and found at school after his fell into .... well, uhhh, shall we say could no longer be used.

DH has the wedding collection, going back to prehistoric times. And, like every good Jew, the extras he keeps in the glove compartment, although I have no idea why. (My completely secular father has one is HIS glove compartment as well, in case he has to go to a funeral. I'm not quite clear when he would be going to an unannounced, unplanned funeral, but it's always been there for that purpose.)

We supposedly keep them in a small basket in the dining room. Every few weeks, I gather them up and return them there.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 1:47 pm
Love your post, Barbara!
My shul has a huge collection, some that were lost, some left behind from smachot held there, but mostly smuggled in in disreputable plastic shopping bags and left in the coat-check room, by people who believe that these things are sheimos and not to be discarded, but unwilling to pay the shul for the service of disposing of them. The shul, lacking its own cemetery, has to pay a service to cart away its shaimos, to the tune of about $50 for a box the size of a carton of copier paper.

PSA: Kippot are NOT shaimos and do NOT have to be buried. When they reach their end-of-service life, they can be disposed of in the trash provided they are wrapped in opaque plastic to protect them from the wet coffee grounds, chicken bones, soiled diapers and other revolting things commonly found in household trash bins.

Of course if you want to carry "green" and "respectful" to new heights, feel free to launder all your old disreputable kippot, pick them apart, iron the pieces, trim off the really bad parts and use the rest to make--depending on the size of your collection-- a patchwork parochet, chuppah, tallis, Torah mantle, megillah case, challah cover...just don't try making candle wicks out of them unless you know they're 100% pure cotton.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 1:54 pm
One time I sorted through the shul's collection just for the fun of it. It included, among the nauseating sweat-stained rags, a dazzling array of simcha kippot from the 70s: gold leather, silver leather, white leather stamped with metallic pink swirls (from a bat Mitzvah, obviously), emerald green velvet (from a Gone With the Wind-themed bar Mitzvah?) purple satin (seriously), crimson satin (left behind by a visiting cardinal, maybe?)...Ya gotta wonder what people were thinking.

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 2:06 pm
zaq wrote:
One time I sorted through the shul's collection just for the fun of it. It included, among the nauseating sweat-stained rags, a dazzling array of simcha kippot from the 70s: gold leather, silver leather, white leather stamped with metallic pink swirls (from a bat Mitzvah, obviously), emerald green velvet (from a Gone With the Wind-themed bar Mitzvah?) purple satin (seriously), crimson satin (left behind by a visiting cardinal, maybe?)...Ya gotta wonder what people were thinking.

Send 'em my way. This is what DS claims is "in" at his MO high school:

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 2:24 pm
Really???? Evidently retro is in. I have fond memories of those from Hebrew Day School, back during the Johnson (Lyndon, not Andrew, you wise guys) administration. These must be worth real money now--afaik, nobody does that style of gold embroidery any more.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 2:35 pm
Barbara wrote:

Send 'em my way. This is what DS claims is "in" at his MO high school:

That's the type in DH's high school pictures from the 60's.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 2:36 pm
Barbara wrote:
(My completely secular father has one is HIS glove compartment as well, in case he has to go to a funeral. I'm not quite clear when he would be going to an unannounced, unplanned funeral, but it's always been there for that purpose.)

My secular father had one in his glove compartment for that same reason!

shiffycc

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 3:06 pm
Barbara,zaq, bubby,et al... you guys are hysterical!

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 3:37 pm
my brother wore the same velvet yarmulka from when he was a kid (I think 3 but maybe a little older) till he was adult. then it got too faded and needed replacing.

One of my sons always wears the same yarmulka, the other is constantly losing his and ends up wearing one of those thin silky cheap ones we keep for guests. I throw any spare ones in a drawer with their tzitzis.

I totally remember those blue yarmulkas! I'm sure there are some men in my shul who still wear them...

Rodent

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 10:54 pm
Oh gosh, whenever I see those I know instantly that the wearer only wears them very occasionally. How can they be considered cool!?

We have stacks of kippot for the record, a couple of dozen plus 15 more on order (hope they arrive soon! Been waiting almost 3 months now Sad ). Most of them are shared (except name ones) so I want them in a place accessible to all.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 10:58 pm
reminds me of when grandpa benny gave sonny boy his yarmulka collection from simchas ... all sorts of colours atop his head ... he wore them like the guy in caps for sale
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics