Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Would you feel the same had dd murdered someone?
Previous  1  2  3

marina

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 10:08 pm
This post might surprise people, but abortion is a complicated, complicated topic. There is no one answer that fits all.

If this was my daughter, I would evaluate her overall mental health. Assuming it was relatively stable (no mental illness, no depression, etc.) I would not be on board with an abortion, just to save face. It would be awful and I would do whatever it takes to make things easier for her, but I don't think I'd be okay with a decision to abort. It's a potential life, and if there's a way to continue it without having to ruin my daughter's existing life, we should give it a try.

Maybe if it actually happens, I'll think differently, but that's what I can see myself saying.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 3:51 am
I just finished reading HUSH By Eishes Chayil and I find myself wondering what if a teenage girl was raped repeatedly by her brother and then conceived.

Abortion is a very touchy subject with many variables. I believe one cannot take a stand on abortion without taking all the variables into account.

I do know that women fought long and hard for their right to have a say over what happens to their body.

ora_43

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 4:49 am
marina wrote:
It is a horrible injustice that mamzeirim have the status they do and it is only because it was supposed to be an ancient threat to make sure those naughty wives kept their legs closed.

Why davka "naughty wives"? You don't think men would care that they'd inflicted mamzer status on a child?

There were also places where brother-sister marriages were encouraged back in the day (usually among royalty). So again, a type of assur relationship beyond just married women looking to cheat.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 5:50 am
ValleyMom wrote:

I do know that women fought long and hard for their right to have a say over what happens to their body.

Therefore? Women still don't (or shouldn't) have the right to a complete say over what happens to their bodies. Only G-d does. You have a say over your body only insofar as your say doesn't clash with what the Torah says.

interestedbrooklyn

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 8:23 am
This is just another conversation of how everyone "feels" and a great forum to pass judgment on a girl (girls, women, their families and their rabbonim) who are in these situations. The view of abortion has been so colored by the Xtian values of abortion that most don't even know what they are talking about anymore. The Torah has a very different view of abortion and fetuses. It is NOT considered murder - I think its time to step off the high horse.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children